View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most of those item you speak of are for kunard and velious(I think). I am playing on green.
Well, Green will get them someday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But yeah, I left out perhaps the most important rule of gear acquisition, on Blue or Green, which is: don't spend time on gear, because levels > gear.

For nearly every item in the game, the time it takes you to acquire the item > the time it will save you while XPing.

Really, pre-50 on Green I'd say the only item worthy of a Shaman's time is (ironically) a mage focus item. Anything else will just be meaningless stat gear: it certainly won't hurt to have it, but if you spend any time/effort to get it, that time/effort will be wasteful. You could have instead focused on XP, gotten to 50, and then gotten that item (or a better one) much faster overall.

In other words, just focus on XP and get to 50, if you want to be efficient. Go for gear if you're bored leveling and don't mind being less efficient ... although, again, I'd recommend saving your plat for future stuff that's worth spending it on (in classic that's mainly your future spells, but the JBB and more is coming).

P.S. In regards to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was asking myself because I don't want to be a burden in group if I am not properly geared.
Everything I said is actually way more true for grouping shaman than soloing shaman. Keep in mind, all stat gear does is give you more maximums ... but maximums aren't relevant over time. When you group, you decide when to cast, when to med, and when to cann, and it's that which determines whether you have enough mana to (say) slow and root when the puller screws up and brings five mobs at once in. It's not whether you start at 1000 hp/mana or 1200 hp/mana ... it's "did you keep enough while playing for the last half hour that when the shit hits the fan, you still can do your job?"

The only time stat gear would ever matter is if you started out at full mana/HP, the puller pulled a massive overpull ... but not so massive as to completely wipe you .... and you survived with less hp/mana than the tiny difference gear would have provided (and at low levels we're talking sub-100 of each). How many times can you remember where something bad happened, your group didn't just wipe, you started the incident at max, but when the smoke cleared you were at < 100hp? I'm guessing not a ton.

So really my point is, being a good shaman in a group has virtually nothing to do with gear, and everything to do with how you play them.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-09-2020 at 02:02 PM..