View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

When I got this job I'm currently at 8 years ago, I had a series of interviews at the corporate office (which took all day), followed by a site visit the next day to the actual facility I was going to be working at to do something similar to what she is being asked to do... observe what goes on, sit-in and receive some training, interact with my potential co-workers, etc.

I didn't consider it "work without pay". I didn't do any work. They were evaluating my fit with my co-workers and the team just as much as I was evaluating whether I wanted to work there or had any interest in doing the job I was observing. The point was... I wanted a job, and it was worth my time to pursue it.

Everyone is just automatically speculating this guy is trying to get work out of people for free for some reason. Well, here's the other side of that speculation: Maybe the guy that is hiring her had a bad experience with a bad "culture fit" at his shop, or he keeps losing people because they didn't quite know what they were getting into when he hired them, and now finds it important to bring someone in for a site visit so everyone can do some mutual evaluation.

As a manager, I would love to have the opportunity to a) make sure my co-workers will get along with a potential new hire before I make the decision to hire, and b) make sure the potential new hire is fully aware of what they are getting themeselves into by spending a day observing before I hire them, potentially lose the other applicants, and then that person decides a week later they hate the place and it's not for them. Especially if I have been burned in the past by either of the two scenarios.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles