View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 12:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not too familiar with Sojourn's lore but seems like it would be surprising if it had the same lore as Norrath.

To me, the arguments for similarities come down to 3 things:

- Classes and abilities. But as mentioned these were likely already taken from D&D (or heavily influenced thereby) by Sojourn, so not really relevant.

- Races. Is this really an argument besides a couple specific races like Gnomes and Barbarians? Unless are Gnomes in D&D I can't recall. Basically all these races already existed in Tolkien and then D&D (or at the very least in D&D if not in Tolkien).

- Cities. The human cities are obviously heavily inspired by Sojourn. As is Halas. Seems like there's an argument for Oggok too. Kaladim? Not really...dwarves in mountains comes from Tolkien so not really something Sojourn could claim. Neriak? Doesn't seem like this type of DE city originated with Sojourn. Not sure what the other cities in Sojourn were like...was there a Kelthin-type place? Felwithe and Rivervale are clearly inspired by Tolkien not another video game.

Every fantasy and sci-fi author for example has likely implemented things in their world inspired by other books they've read. It happens. Doesn't mean they aren't a good or creative world builder.
i actually am kinda fascinated by how you could even define fantasy or scifi as genres. can it still be fantasy without racism baked in? is it still fantasy without mimicking colonial "the world is full of resources and plunder that rightfully belong to our superior society"? like of course almost nothing in fantasy is unique to just common attitudes from tolkien's lifetime, so its like... what can you change that makes it "not fantasy" anymore? its such a specific nexus of tropes, and yet in theory is not bound to any of them.