View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a reason why charm was nerfed in luclin. Or maybe it was PoP? for those who dont know, after the nerf, the moment you charmed an NPC it got weaker. when it broke it was back to full strength.

charming was becoming more stable to use as internet connections and computers got better. so around this time it started becoming apparent how OP it actually was. I still stand by primitive hardware and internet being the real issue in those days. If Tak does not have that nerf, its well within that timeline.
This really wasn't the issue you seem to recall it being. I had access to a T1 and T3 at different locations (one an ISP who I was friends with the owner, and other at the college library) and had 128k ISDN in 2000, which was more than enough bandwidth for EQ without bottlenecking and was extremely reliable compared to my old dialup service. I knew many of my guildmates (most real life friends) that had similar access to higher bandwidth connections for the time at local ISPs or college dorms and libraries.

My home computer (being a broke college kid at the time) wasn't spectacular however I regularly used charm to solo tough camps with my necro during classic, kunark, and velious. I also regularly charming mobs in xp groups in lguk during classic and city of mist in kunark because they did better dps. All without spending thousands on a high end pc.

I'd suggest that if a necro could do it during this era, an enchanter could do it even better. In fact I remember this being the case. Sadly I don't have any data or logs from 20+ years ago to demonstrate my claims to be true.

♦♦ Nikkanu (60 Dark Elf Cleric) ♦♦
♦♦ Psychoactive (60 Ogre Shaman) ♦♦
♦♦ Recycling (60 Iksar Necromancer) ♦♦
♦♦ Silentblade (60 Dwarf Rogue) ♦♦
♦♦ Yourack (60 Human Monk) ♦♦
♦♦ Bargains (EC Mule) ♦♦