View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 02:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People used it in the way it was most efficient because EQ2 also optimized out all of the fun during that era of the game.

SF / Destiny of Velious / Skyshrine were EQ2's darkest hours in terms of flawed design.

Critical mitigation was awful. The raid encounters had a huge difficulty jump between normal and hard modes. The game basically took the entire itemization of EQ2 that had historically worked prior to TSO and shat upon it, removing unique effects from a lot of items on current-tier content.

The game started to add stuff from eq2 extended (the 'f2p server') into the live game like Health Potions that they promised they'd 'never add'.

They saw a ton of raiders quit after Skyshrine into CoE. Then they all but lost a majority of their population into Tears of Veeshan after they fucked up their "Rum Cellar" expansion which just handed out the best gear to everyone who paid for it.

There were problems with the design, but that's because the design sucked, not because the idea of players designing dungeons is a terrible idea.
No I feel you on the changes with EQ2. I stopped playing it around late 2014 to early 2015. F2P was inevitable unfortunately and even by 2010 you could tell SOE downsized the EQ2 team several times from its peak with EoF-TSO. I still have nostalgia for Sentinels Fate primarily due to the music and atmosphere.
And the Rum Cellar wasn't part of Tears of Veeshan, that was post-Altar of Malice in 2015 when SoE downsized yet again and became DBG.