View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 04:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasn't SoD a success that was generally received pretty well by the classic WoW community, though? I played it myself for a couple of months and had fun, even if some aspects of it were sort of disappointing (namely Battle for Ashenvale). Not that Project 1999 should go that route and start adding things that fundamentally change class roles...

Anyway. I really don't think that giving rogues an aggro dump before the Paineel era, or giving shield bash stun an aggro component so that warriors can function / hold aggro the way they were originally intended to, is going to break the game.
SoD was initially popular because the WoW community is in total denial and just wanted something, anything, fresh. Added on top of the classic players were an influx of retail players no doubt.

After that there's been a 70% dropoff of players (https://www.mmojugg.com/news/wow-sod...xceeds-70.html) and perhaps that's in part to be expected, however, that's not the point. The point is that SoD sucks and that adding new abilities and tweaking old easily results in a shit experience.

The classic community got it right the first time, "no changes". There's a value in playing the game as it were and it gives the game a legitimacy that you otherwise lose. Not all too dissimilar to house-rules in other games. Before long also devs would have to defend not changing virtually everything. Given what we've seen from the p99-devs I doubt the interest is there and it may very well be why we haven't seen a fresh server now.