View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 09:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm stripping everything out of EQemu that doesn't exist after Planes of Power. Going to do an open source classic emulator fork that includes quests and database. I took out instancing, tasks, adventures, expeditions, ldon mechanics, and some other crap so far and still have it building and functioning.

I'm thinking the functionality will be that you set a timestamp for "server start time" and a timer counts from there in order to change functionality as appropriate. Only changes which last more than a month would be included. All of these changes will have rule values to turn them on/off and so will potential "overpowered" classic mechanics like AE kiting, fine steel pet delay, etc. This allows server owners to easily adjust classic mechanics to their preference.

My bug list is currently at about 1,200 bugs I expect it will be just under 10k bugs when I finish. These will be prioritized in terms of impact to the player with the most important things being fixed first.

This will be the basis for multiple servers. I am thinking traditional classic, legends, roleplay, rz/tz/vz/sz/discord rule set servers. Idea being one of each type of all server types that existed. The PvP rules functionality will be the first thing I cut a PR for to contribute code back to EQEmu. Legends server would probably be a code driven randomization of quests, item drops, etc and a potential idea I'm considering is to implement AI created custom encounters for players. This would be similar to games like Left 4 Dead where the AI considers your ability in terms of HP, guns, etc and provides unique gameplay encounters where you can still meet the level of challenge. FaydWAR will also exist using this forked emu as an example of how to take the code and make a custom classic server easily.

Servers will go to PoP this is a much better place to dead end a server than Velious due to the additional functionality and raid content. Servers would rotate in such a way that there is always one server about to add an expansion or start over again every couple months so there is always a "new" thing going on somewhere. Servers restart awhile after PoP with players getting dumped into a permanent blue or red server type. I also have an idea for a custom mechanic to address the current raid bottlenecks that should avoid non-classic experience while letting players have more opportunity to experience challenging raiding.

My hope is to produce something that is better than P99 and fully open so anyone can enjoy a classic era server. If people want to play on these servers that's great but my focus is going to be on producing a better experience even if no one plays it except my friends and family. As an aside P99 still has major bugs from 2010 that have never gotten a response. Like I said, about 10k bugs in total I expect are still relevant. They're probably drowning in them the scope is larger than I ever imagined. All the more reason to have an open project instead of relying on a couple people who seem burnt out and likely rightly so.
You could direct your time to helping "eqemu peq expansions"... idk the state, but a lot of work from eqemu on "TLPing" the eqemu source, so you can set an expansion and it will only have stuff for that era. But what you're doing is still cool.