View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just don’t understand why that structure would exist. Read “Streets of Gold.” An underrated reason for immigrant success is they only let us go to places like east Texas or LA (growing economies). If we had national service mandated and people had to move around, I bet a lot of people would get out of West Virginia and Detroit and find less “structural” obstacles
I have absolutely no proof of this, but I'd wager the original idea behind each "version" of the structure is to sort the wheat from the chaff, in some sense. Like, we will tolerate _____ if they integrate and we all make money. Reconstruction in the south certainly still resonates to the present in a lot of really complicated ways.

That isn't to say that within each version there aren't other forces at work in every direction, too.

I will check out that book. Anything that causes demographic change would change the issue, but I'd oppose mandatory military service personally if that's what you meant. I could compromise on civil service options tho. I have ideas for a Civilian Conservation Corps.