View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea to me there’s two scenarios to a simulation

1. We are being controlled by some consciousness outside the simulation, in which case our decisions in the simulation would still have meaning

2. We are just AI robot programs within a simulation that can learn, which is pretty much the intelligent design of the Big Bang theory anyway, just a computer version. In which case if it wasn’t God creating us as a test for the afterlife, and instead some other higher intelligence making us like ants in an ant farm to observe, then to what end?

Any intelligence smart enough to create programmable AI robot programs in a simulation would already be smart enough to know the outcome, and what all our decision possibilities could be. So again, why would such an intelligence bother when the outcome is pre-determined, just skip to that
This may annoy our friend aussie, but are you familiar with Roko's basilisk?

I don't even pretend to fully understand most of this simulation theory stuff, but that one is very entertaining to me.

Quote:
On 23 July 2010,[14] LessWrong user Roko posted a thought experiment to the site, titled "Solutions to the Altruist's burden: the Quantum Billionaire Trick".[15][1][16] A follow-up to Roko's previous posts, it stated that an otherwise benevolent AI system that arises in the future might pre-commit to punish all those who heard of the AI before it came to existence, but failed to work tirelessly to bring it into existence. The torture itself would occur through the AI's creation of an infinite number of virtual reality simulations that would eternally trap those within it.[1][17][18] This method was described as incentivizing said work; while the AI cannot causally affect people in the present, it would be encouraged to employ blackmail as an alternative method of achieving its goals.
Last edited by Basanos; 03-14-2023 at 12:17 AM..