View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Yup, I have a similar story - I had my own company in 1999-2001 when I got addicted, and basically EQ was a contributing factor to losing it. Not the only factor, since the IT biz tanked at the same time, but without EQ I think I could have pulled it out of the nosedive. I didn't care all that much, just to get that EQ fix. After I shut the company down, I sold the customer base and went to work for another company. Because the post-Y2K economy was flat I had little to do, was working from a home office, so I boxed EQ for a year til I had to in all good conscience get a job where I wasn't getting paid for nothing. I quit EQ til the Progression Servers, and spent a lot of time there but managed to keep the addiction relatively benign.

With P1999, I've been keeping my play time to 2 hour sessions max using the timer. This has been working well, and if I treat myself to an occasional raid or long session at night after everyone has gone to bed, not a big deal. But, I have lots of other stuff going on, and getting that 2 hrs in more than a few times a week has been challenging, which is a good thing - it means other stuff takes priority, and thats a good thing.

So, my advice is limit your sessions to a set time, and get some outside interests that require your presence on a regular schedule and don't miss them. Don't try to keep up with people who can afford to devote many of their waking hours to EQ!

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!