View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 06:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
as long as you're killing mobs at low health after a charm break, you're getting the XP...perfect is the enemy of good
I appreciate the mindset-check; you're absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never played Bard significantly so take this with a grain of salt, but I would think that you can use similar methods to Enchanter to close gaps.
Your advice is helpful and good, but the big difference between bard charms and other charming classes (I've only really charmed on druid) is that charm only lasts 3-4 ticks, so you end up constantly swapping between the two mobs, charming one and dotting the other. So when there's a significant power imbalance I think you should be just dotting the stronger one, not the weaker one. I think the challenge I was facing was that the gnolls were killing each other so fast I hardly got a chance to notice which was significantly stronger until the other one was already at like 30-40% health. Which isn't really a complaint - that's a good thing that they're dying so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard haste doesn't effect charmed (or summoned) pets unfortunately. In fact, none of the other beneficial songs can be applied to pets either.
This answers one of the questions I had. Do slows/hastes stack with enchanter/shaman slow/haste? Someone I was grouping with said that the haste effects stack, but I'm a little skeptical.

I'm almost done with 35 now. I did a couple levels in Mistmoore GY/CE, and it was great fun. I saved a wipe on a bad pull by CCing with charm to keep two occupied, and then when we were down to the last mob, everyone oom and low health, I could twist mez/mana/health until we were ready to take it down.

I'm out at the giant fort in Frontier Mountains now, mostly duoing and soloing. It's been a great place to practice pulling, and it's nice how fast the repops are. After getting Cantata of Soothing my weapons are almost permanently bagged, although I did pull them out to tank for a monk. Just Selo's Consonant Chain wasn't enough to hold aggro, but that plus Chords of Dissonance plus the DD procs from the Venomous Axe was. What's the best aggro twist? I don't want to use Chords of Dissonance if there's an enchanter mezzing.

Duoing with a necro was especially fun. He would dot or dd while adding his pet, and I would tank and dot. The slow is starting to get more and more significant. And it's always nice to feed a synergy like lich and hp/mana regen.

One thing that surprised me is that I was charming far less often than I expected. With the monk there was enough DPS that the added charm DPS didn't appreciably speed things up. Since you can't mez giants, if charm broke at an awkward timing you'd either have to recharm and break up the flow waiting for charm to break before killing it, or have two mobs beating on us until the first mob died. Adding a priest class as a trio probably would have changed that calculus, as healing was our bottleneck. But we were killing almost continuously for over an hour with only a couple breaks to heal up, so it felt pretty good.

I mostly use charm as cc, which worked pretty well. It's also nice to be able to occasionally pause a tough fight to be able to take a breather and regen a couple ticks. I discovered a nice synergy while duoing with a necro. Towards the end of a tough fight with adds we were both at about 30-50% health, as was the one giant left. When the necro announced oom, I decided to charm to give us a breather. Since the necro dots aren't removed when charmed, by the time charm broke the giant was almost dead, and what had been a tough fight was suddenly really easy.