Thread: Homesteading
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2023, 04:48 PM
Kobold

Oh the irony of all the political talk in a thread about homesteading...the most un-politically related thread there could be. I guess people are really on a mission to take threads in the off topic section...off topic.

Watched a few youtube videos last night from one of those camping/outdoors type channels. Guy had an inflatable tent (was really a tiny home) with full blow windows, doors, and skylights and had a portable wood stove he setup in there with a vent hole for the chimney to vent the smoke outside. What a great setup to just pop up his own homestead anywhere he goes.

I plan on getting to a place where I have a home completely self sustaining and off grid. Its really more attainable then ever without giving up any comforts. Lots of solutions for solar electricity, starlink is taking care of an internet everywhere solution (because what's the point of being off grid if you can't get some sweat in your beard), rain catchment gutters and storage tanks seems pretty straight forward although have some things to learn about long term storage and water treatment for safe consumption. Seems like sewage is the hardest thing, or atleast the one I know the least about if you want something that mirrors city plumbing without some extensive waste treatment setup.

From there just get really good at gardening and you're pretty well set up. Personally not really a hunter/fisher so will need to put some thought into protein if I don't want to become a vegetarian.