View Single Post
Old 11-17-2023, 11:30 PM
Banned

When I started out in BH like 15yrs ago I was only childrens dept (not a fan when compared to working with both kids and adults), and had to co-run a skills group for kids 12-17. Luckily the masters level therapist gal friend of mine was the one coming up with new engagement activities every week, I just had to help run them

One that was a nice icebreaker for a new group was to blow up a beach ball and section it off in a soccer ball pattern with a marker. In each square (hexagon? Polygon? Whatever the fucking spot’s shape are on a soccer ball) you write fun non-invasive question like “do you have any pets?” (Can look up lists of fun questions for kids online), and be sure to pick ones you comfortable answering for all of them

Then have the kids huck it around the room and rules are you have to answer the question your right hand (or whatever) lands on. And they can huck it to you. What ends up happening is the more extroverted kids will huck it to whoever while the shyest kids will always huck it at you and then you can re-direct it at whoever isn’t getting any attention

Works best for new groups tho