View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see the sometimes hamfisted attempts at representation as abiding by the supposed laws of supply and demand. Marketing, writing, whatever.

Sometimes it works, such as the Spider-Verse movies. Loathe as I am to like a superhero movie, they found a way to make it broadly appealing. Good writing.

Sometimes it doesn't, like when Anheuser-Busch misread the fuck out of their customer base. I don't know how that one slipped past any of them, you could go to any given beach in Florida in the last fifty years and figure that one out. Bad writing.
Yea that could be, which is why I was zero’ing in on the white male incompetent villain thing, rather than the black hero thing

Sure movies historically had a lack of non-white heroes, but usually villains were never always black, or whatever. Often villains were a decent mix, probably still mostly white though

But now, there’s a flip to where most heroes seem to be non-white but almost all villains seem to be white men. And like I said, not like a cool type of villain like, um, Anton Chigur from No Country for Old Men. No, like bumbling, power-crazed, dumb white men

There was even an actor or director or someone who came right out and said “I tried to make this villain resemble Trump”. It’s like, ok, I respect that. Because that’s what it seems like already. So at least be out with it, and give them all Trump hair and a giant red “R” on their clothes or whatever

I don’t think this “white men bad” manipulation will actually work, but it seems to be more noticeable now. So remove the subtlety if that truly is the goal. Make the next villain have Mitch McConnell’s face or whatever. I’m sure this can be done with AI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]