View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 01:39 PM
Large Rat

I had this problem with my 7950X, and was able to workaround it by locking the frequency in bios to 4.2 GHz (thanks to this thread). I figured I'd live with it for a while, and switch back to Intel the next time I refreshed my build.

Fast forward about a year, I noticed the 7800X3D has a base frequency of 4.2GHz. And with a decent deal going on at Amazon for the processor, I decided to give it a try. With bios settings all reset to defaults, the 7800X3D has no problem with P99.

So, this appears to be something related to the base frequency set in bios, whether manual override or hardware default. Unfortunately, for the 7950X (factory base frequency 4.5GHz), the way you have to override that in bios locks you into a lower 4.2GHz frequency, disabling the hardware boost behavior. If you want to boost above that, you have to do a software workaround in Windows using Ryzen Master to re-enable boosting after boot-up. However, with the 7800X3D having a base frequency of 4.2GHz from the factory, the factory boost works without any workarounds, and P99 doesn't have any issues.

Hope this helps someone in the future as they're deciding on components for a new PC build.