Thread: Quillmane spawn
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2023, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRLeVEuuLXM&t=1396s

Check this video at 18:35 and 20:10 especially. It's literally an interview with the guy who DESIGNED the Quillmane spawn. He says he saw a video where someone said it was "A lioness and an elephant calf" but said that wasn't the actual spawn as it was designed and it was more "Probably just one of the lower level spawns...the variety spawns...and just a percentage off of that...that had all of the lower level spawns in it"

So if anything based on that wording, cyclopes/treants/harriers/avocets shouldn't be included, but I'd say the p99 devs did the best they could when trying to change the mechanics to match what the actual developer best remembers them being. This is as close to definitive information as is possible 20 years later.
I've watched the interview. I referenced it early in the thread. "Probably" doing a lot of heavy lifting here. Not saying he doesn't remember since he's the one that actually coded the damn thing but there's nothing to say that he isn't misremembering or thinking of an entirely different named spawn he coded. I'm sure he did a LOT of work on the game.