View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, would you support an increase in the Federal minimum wage?

Are you also implying that if immigration was somehow under control, that employers would see the light on their own and start raising wages to compete with other employers?

Maybe the Republicans raise the Federal minimum wage someday when there's enough widespread poverty that people are camping out on the golf courses, but I have precisely zero faith in the idea that employers will raise wages in the right conditions. The only reason I've personally seen wages go up towards the bottom of the spectrum is due to the pandemic.

Around here, those higher wages that were being offered during the pandemic have already sunken down to nearly their pre-pandemic levels. The McDonald's down the street has a sign up that says it is hiring at $11/hour, they're still understaffed as hell. As they should be at that pay rate.
I don’t know enough about min wage, it confuses me

For example, in my state min wage is still ridiculously low, but no one pays that. Every fast food restaurant I’ve seen are advertising starting at $16+/hour

Technically an employer would have to raise wages in order to keep the business running, unless the CEO wants to scrub the toilets himself. But it doesn’t play out that way when there’s this never ending pool of under the table dirt cheap labor

The invisible hand would normally be correcting the labor supply/demand price ideally