View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 07:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMHO, it all comes down to root. As a mage, I don't need FD, or fear, or a million DoTs (we actually do get one), or pretty much any of the rest of the Necro toolkit.

But the lack of root is a huge deal breaker. Our pet is already more powerful than the necro pet, but it could be even more powerful and it still wouldn't matter: as a mage you'll still only be able to fight in like 10% of the places a Necro can fight. Without root, you can only fight in places where there are a series of single mobs ... and if you do get an add, or anything else goes wrong, your only option is to gate (or die).

(And yes, I know the earth pet gets root, but it lasts only for seconds and can't really be used as a solution in most cases.)

The mage pet is clearly, significantly, unquestionably more powerful than the Necro pet ... but (again, speaking as a Mage player) it's a class stuck in an extremely narrow lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for skele vs mage pet skele lifetaps r no joke.

Again mage style points tho.

If being powerful is all care about go necro.

If u enjoy a challenge and more straight forward strategy and ease of play or synergy with groups go mage.

Mages excell at one thing. Plowing through mobs a few levels under their pets with ease.

That is basically all of vanilla and half of kunark.

What would you guys say is the % power level or speed of plowing through under leveled mobs difference between the Mage and Necro pets?

I don't have much interest in doing any raiding in this game, or fighting other players over those big ticket item camps. I mostly like to just run around the world and slaughter things I see. I much prefer to make money by doing coin or vendor loot camps. Things like guards, giants, camps/dungeons where mobs drop items that sell for a few plat each etc. rather than sitting still at one camp for hours on end hoping to get the item that I want to drop. I mean, I've done it before, however when you're killing the same thing for 4+ hours then have to log off and have nothing to show for it; you're just left with a defeated or wasted time feeling, so I try to avoid those types of camps.

So when considering that, it almost sounds like Mage might actually be the better choice for me. However, if there is only like a 10% difference in power / killing speed between the Mage and Necro pets, then that is pretty negligible when you consider killing mobs 10 or so levels under you. Like if it takes a lvl 50 Mages pet 8-9 seconds to kill a green a mob, but the Necro pet does it in 10 seconds. That 1-2 seconds isn't really going to matter that much to me, or might not even be noticeable. Which in that case, Necro may actually be the better choice for me after all, even if I am mostly just plowing through green mobs anyway, for the simple fact of having the mana regen and FD ability.

So I guess the real question I am wondering now is, what is the actual power level / speed of killing difference between the 2 casters pets? I think it's obvious now that Mage pets are objectively stronger than Necro pets. However, what kind of real world in-game difference does that make in fights?

Will a Water pet with a Mage dmg shield on it chew through green mobs twice as fast as Necro pets?
Will a Necro pet die twice as fast and have to be resummoned twice as often?