Thread: MMO Theory
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 03:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One of the only interesting things about Diablo Immortal when I was playing it was this event where two guilds competed against each other by each having their leader control essentially a raid boss, while the opposing guild tried to kill it. Whichever guild killed the boss first, won

Unfortunately D:I was a pay2win gear check so strategies such as the guild leader running away trying to stay alive (very unlike an AI raid boss) didn’t matter too much. But there was some strategies employed. And there was no such thing as tanking, since the leader knew to ignore tanks and go for the casters

I thought this was a novel concept, a GM or chosen player playing a raid boss against a zone or guild, and thought it would be cool to have in a MMO. It would completely alter the idea of aggro management, since the boss could be using intelligent human tactics the entire time
Yeah! That actually sounds really cool! Have you ever played LotRO? That's an example too of having "expendable" toons to PvP. But another thing you said that grabbed me was "raid" and the idea there of implementing a larger scale for PvP activity on a server.

Also, for the record Pay2AnythingReally is a pretty garbage business model imho and I wonder if it's that way inherently or if every time we ever see anything like that in practice it's basically shameless greed.