View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically the Dutch government is trying to mandate a reduction of nitrogen oxide and ammonia emissions. I think the goal is 50% reduction by 2030, which means farmers will be required to use less fertilizer and reduce livestock numbers.

Farmers argue this is unfair, and in protest are organizing big road blockades with their tractors. Not only a major highways, but also they're blocking supply lines for distribution paths for supermarket supply. From what I've read/heard, the protests have been peaceful. A couple burning bails of hay, some warning shots fired by police, and a few arrests made, but no injuries.

Having lived here for a few years, I always thought the Dutch farms were pretty sustainable. When you're taking the train between towns, you see lots of happy looking cows on nice big patches of land. But in reality, there are a large number of the same massive factory livestock farms that you see in America. The current count is about 800, which is a 75% increase in the last 7 years.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...ained-7999870/
Thanks bud.