View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 12:35 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... I'm looking for changes in the reliablity of the spell itself. Out of era gear is irrelevant.

Show me AAs, or evidence that the spells themselves made it EASIER to charm mobs in later expansions, and then we are onto something.
That's exactly the point though: there were no such changes; charm was *always* overpowered, and once the charmable mob levels caught up to content it needed to be nerfed.

People charmed less and grouped more, for sure, but it was known to be an effective tactic; specters in Oasis and OOT for 35+ or so, and Howling Stones ~50+ were well known and recommended solo charming spots for enchanters.

All of the behavior now can be explained with social reasons (fewer groups, more available mobs, solo-ing 'active content' therefore not looked down on), there's no need for the mechanics to be wrong too; what few parses people have found of charm duration (too bad there was no centralized enchanter board like druid's grove or safehouse to find old posts!) support them being *roughly the same*. My experience (granted, memory is fallible) also suggests it is roughly the same - with the caveat that I would believe channeling is slightly easier.
Last edited by Eleandra; 06-30-2022 at 12:42 AM..