Thread: EQ vs WoW
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm this reminds me. I wonder if I have screenshots of my Deathcharger Reins and Time-Lost Proto-Drake? The game is long uninstalled but I tend to save screenshots and I do still have that old hard drive.
You probably do

My quitting WoW story I guess is also a bit of a personal growth experience: the risks of being too type A/competitive

After we got and held rank 1, I was convinced we were the best in the US. This was a time WoW was possibly going to become an e-sport, and there was talk about teams getting sponsored. I was posting about our success on the official forums, and the consensus was that if you weren’t in battlegroup 9 (a collection of servers that compete against each other in BG’s and arenas), then you weren’t the best. Apparently two servers in particular, Blackrock and Tichondrius, had a reputation for having hyper-competitive pvp teams. There was a migration of battlegroup’s best arena teams to BG9 in attempts to prove they were the absolute best in the USA

So of course, my team all transferred. And it turns out, competition on BG9 was indeed fierce. We were rank 1 with a 90%ish win rate on BG1 when we left, but on BG9 we got cockblocked/stalled out around rank 13-14ish. We could break into the top 20, but not even the top 10, at least initially. This caused high levels of nerd rage, arguing amongst each other, and that caused burnout. Our team of multiple years broke up only like 2 weeks after we xferred due to 2 of our players quitting. Had we had better communication and coping/adjusting, we may have been able to get top 10, maybe even sponsored

But looking back, I’m glad it ended there (I quit then). I also was able to turn around a lot of RL issues after quitting. I did eventually meet and hang out with my old team multiple times in CA. One of our members was fairly rich and would drop $1000’s on a single night out with us, was good times. Lost contact with them years ago tho unfortunately