View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I learned about how the ventilators work. Initially they will do tubes down your throat, so to keep you from freaking out and either gagging them up or pulling them out they will sedate you 24/7. This will go on for about 3 weeks, they don’t want you sedated 24/7 past that for reasons unknown, I’m assuming because it will also kill you. 3 weeks seems to be the hospital’s limit. After that they cut a hole in your neck (trach) and put the tube in that, and then you I think would normally be conscious but many aren’t due to lack of oxygen

They are pumping oxygen into you via tubes but it doesn’t matter because your lungs have either withered away or hardened. So the mechanism to absorb and convert that oxygen is gone. But like I mentioned you usually die to organ failure before you suffocate
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...5be-story.html

Quote:
A Michigan woman contracted COVID-19 from the lungs she received during a transplant and died two months later.

The woman, who has not been publicly identified, received the new lungs from a woman declared brain dead after a car accident, according to a new study from the American Journal of Transplantation.

Both women tested negative for COVID-19 before the surgery — the car crash victim within 48 hours of organ removal and the recipient, 12 hours before the operation. The donor’s family also said she was showing no symptoms before the accident and had no history of travel, but did not know if she could have been exposed to the virus elsewhere.

A day after the transplant at the University of Michigan, the woman’s heart was not pumping as effectively as expected, and two days later, she developed a fever, low blood pressure and respiratory distress.

Doctors re-tested the patient for COVID-19, with the test coming back positive this time. The donor also tested positive on a second sample, as did the thoracic surgeon who performed the transplant surgery.

“You can’t 100% prove that someone doesn’t have something because we don’t have perfect tests. So we try and put together a combination of their exposures, their clinical history, testing, radiology like a CT-scan of the lung of the donor, which was done and didn’t show anything that looked like COVID,” Dr. Daniel Kaul, the director of the Transplant Infectious Disease Service at the University Michigan who helped write the study, told the Detroit Free Press.

“We do all those things and say, ‘Well, as best we can determine, this donor is safe to use.’ But unfortunately in this case, there was asymptomatic COVID that was not detected by the standard testing.”

The donor recipient was prescribed Remdesivir, convalescent plasma and steroids but died two months after the transplant.