View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 08:09 PM
Kobold

Default A Sidelong Glance At and a Question about Power Leveling

Once, in the Qeynos Hills, an Erudite caster shouted out for all to hear that he had enough Gnoll fangs to skip from level 10 to 20 or something like that. One or two folks in the zone cheered for him, most ignored him, the perpetual Hadden campers were AFK, but I was confused.

I was confused because I genuinely could not understand why someone would play this game just to skip (at the time) around 20% of it. Mind you I didn't really care, I was just curious.

Recently, parts of these forums seem to be filled with many people who really don't seem to like much of this game or have played it so much they are bored with most of it. And that melancholy Erudite, who shouted with a sense of genuine pride and accomplishment about having enough Gnoll fangs to have not play 1/5 of the game, seems to epitomize many forum posters.

So, my question is, what is the best part/zone/experience/challenge et al. of P99 that impels you to log on still? What is it that impels you to gather enough Gnoll fangs so that you can skip much of the game just to get to that part?

For my part, I like the slog and the repercussions for bad gameplay. (I'm a super casual btw) and the nostalgia I still feel when EQ was new to me. But, I want to keep an eye out for the parts of the game that the jaded ones find enchanting still, so that I can savor it when I experience it and perhaps one day join them in hating much of the gameplay except for that small part.