View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bone knights are at the very top! At least in classic....

The end
There is what was missing from the last post.

I just don't see this method working well on 44+ mobs or doing sustained dps better than a dot using necro once splurt is part of rotations, and unlike shamans spell swapping mid battle is something necros can do if they want to stack lower level dots. So your endgame spell lineup won't be as streamlined as say a shaman with torpor if you're truly trying to get your best DPS, and it will involve some spell scribing.

Years and years ago during endless Kunark I played around on a GM command server and did the whole Rod of Annihilation + Flayed Skin on a human necro, and my goal was to use the shield spells to take zero damage while dishing out melee damage, long story short I too had to use taps just to survive the ravishing drolvargs in DL where I was testing. Maybe the AC difference between current p99 and the box I was using is truly substantial and you can face tank stuff on here that I couldn't there, but I just don't see traditional fear kiting and ever better snares getting set aside in favor of taking hits. Not to mention root rotting prior to Velious.

Good luck with your project and I hope you have better results than I did when playing with the idea of melee necro. I will however continue to doubt its viability compared to "regular" play by lazy necromancers.