View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagglebaron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the other research classes can carry on reasonably well without their research spells, no? A mage without a pet is just pointless.
On Blue when I first joined the server I rolled a druid and took it to 19 for self ports to get a feel for the game again (it had been a decade since I had last played) and knew that I would need it as a utility slave for the main character I wanted to try. I settled on a Necromancer and forced myself to research all of the spells that I wanted that merchants didn't offer. The druid could easily visit cities that were close to key zones for word drops and purchase them doing casual checks for shopping. I then had the Necromancer sacrifice cash to raise research skill and simply attempted combines when I was 2 levels over the needed level to cast the spell.

In the case of a necromancer, the class is so powerful that waiting an extra 2 levels wasn't a horrible fate for key spells like pets, and I was constantly selling spells in EC to recover cash I had spent. The level 24 necro pet and intensify death + harmshield & hungry earth sold like candy even at a stiff markup. You have numerous extra character slots and unlimited account creation, so I'd make level 1 alts in towns and do periodic checks. The downside would be getting your character with the money over to make the buy - that's where the druid slave came in handy.

Edit - the cost of finally capping research at level 50 was close to 1.4k pp. So if you go this route and pay for all of your research skill increases, do NOT sell your spells in the market cheap.