Thread: Recent Update
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But it's also very possible to get caught, and that threat deters most from breaking the rules.
In the meantime, I can live with the tiny percentage that haven't been caught (yet)
And this is where we disagree. There is zero evidence I am aware of that "most" have been deterred from breaking the rules or that only a "tiny percentage" haven't been caught yet.

If these statements were verifiable true then I would totally agree with you. My anecdotal experience is anything but this, however.

IMO, the majority of players are using these programs (allbeit that the majority stick to the guidelines in order to avoid attention and consequences), but they are using them for simple work arounds to the UI restrictions.

As for it not interfering with your game play that's a pretty low standard for enforcement.

The rogue that is using auto-backstab isn't going to ruin your game and you will probably never even notice...but it is a major change to the gameplay that is technically against the rules. Who suffers from this? The rogue that is compliant and lawful good to the p99 rules and therefore has to hit his backstab button all night and then wonders why his DPS is low compared to the other rogue in the group.

The other examples I totally agree: I know TONS of people who have been banned for RMT and Boxing. I don't know a single player ever suspended, banned, or even warned for running macros from a programmable keyboard unless they are blatantly absusive and AFK (I think I knew a mage in vanilla that got suspended for using a tab/attack macro to AFK level in mistmoore while sleeping --- and he probably would have been okay if he had set a text filter to alert him to the GM sending him tells to confirm if he was AFK).
Last edited by fastboy21; 09-29-2019 at 02:31 PM..