View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Note that while the experience modifiers are usually called hybrid penalties because those classes get the steepest modifiers, a lot of classes have experience penalties in the original game. Paladin/Shadow Knight/Ranger/Bard have a 40% modifier. Monk has a 20% penalty. Necromancer/Magician/Wizard/Enchanter have 10% penalties. Rogues and Warriors, being intended to be low-difficulty classes, have their usual modest bonuses. These bonuses or penalties multiply against racial modifiers, so a Troll Shadow Knight has a total 68% penalty (ouch!), and a Kunark-era Iksar Monk has a 44% penalty--steeper than the stock hybrid modifier. All of the class penalties are removed in early Velious, at the same time as the racial modifiers are made self-only.

Danth

I disagree with your assessment of why Rogues and Warriors get xp bonuses and the other classes get penalties.

If you pull out an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook from way back when you will see those penalties pretty well translate the experience tables for the different classes in the table top version. In AD&D it took a lot more xp to level up your paladin than it did a thief or a fighter. It has always been my belief that the original devs were doing their darndest to accurately make an online AD&D sim.

Similarly, as I recall some races had level caps in playing some classes. Obviously capping a Troll at level 43 while letting a Human level all the way to 50 would have been a problem in an MMO. I think this is how they dealt with that issue.

As a final note I had always heard that humans were supposed to be the ones to receive the halfling xp bonus to represent the versatility they had in AD&D but it was actually a programming error that resulted in the halflings getting it.

On a different note I also heard that hell levels were actually the result of a programming error as well.