Thread: Name Changes
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb1029 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like keeping names non-offensive was enough. The rest of the naming policy is ridiculous. If it ruins your immersion, mine was ruined knowing there cannot be two people with the same first name.

Might as well just force all random names since the whole naming policy limits you to just about that.
A lot of people seem to misunderstand "immersion". The point of trying to preserve "immersion" isn't to try and make it so you log in to Project 1999 and never think of the real world. The point is that you log in to Project 1999 and you never think "this Project 1999 ... not classic EverQuest".

Did you play back in the day? Here's the screenshot I have from that time (or maybe just after classic, but same difference) with the most character names in it. I took this screenshot to document a GM event, not to prove anything about names 15-odd years later, but it perfectly illustrates my point:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Consider how many names violate the name policy: arguably zero. Even the names which might violate it are still mostly kosher (eg. Dome Nytewulf, Tuttas Frutt).

I strongly suspect that if you go through old group screenshots from the classic EverQuest period (or even several years after), and you don't cherry-pick, you will also see very few name violations.

So, just like everything else here, the point isn't to remake the best (or most immersive) MMOG ever: the point is just to recreate classic EverQuest. And classic EverQuest simply did not have a ton of people with names like "Papp Smear" running around.

P.S. Yes, that is the original live version of Loramin Frostseer, or at least his name and (tiny family) guild tag, down at the bottom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 02-19-2018 at 02:52 PM..