View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I see what ya'll are saying, but correct me if I'm wrong here. It seems that all of the projects that have been created just kind of add their own custom items here and there or quests and stuff like that, but I haven't seen any servers that create their own zones or character skins or new races/classes etc.

I'm not versed in the development aspect at all, just curious here, I'm assuming it's just a lot of work to really make that kind of thing tangible.
Here's the thing: you need models, and you need something to render them. Obviously there are a lot more parts involved, but fundamentally that's what we're talking about here.

What I hear you saying is "we've got this great renderer already, why not just use new models and make a new game?" And you can ... but it will mean working with code written back in the 90's, only it's even worse for you than it was for them because the Verant developers at least had access to their own source code.

Or you can say "fuck it, I want modern tooling to work with models (and access to source code and/or documentation and/or test suites and/or ...)", and suffer the inconvenience of having to learn a modern rendering library like Unity. Or you can do basically the same thing, but leverage open source code already built using such a library, like that game I linked earlier.

Caveat: I'm a programmer but not a (serious) games programmer. Still if I was going to do any significant modeling work, I would NOT want to have to use (or even have to work with) the tools from '99. I'd try and find the closest open source game to what I want and start from there, or (if there was no such game) build something from scratch using a library like Unity. But if I just wanted an EQ-like game with different database content (eg. where mobs path, what their name is, how many HP they have, etc.) then I'd start with something like EQEmu.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-10-2017 at 08:14 PM..