View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 11:34 AM
Kobold

The best PvP game I ever played was Darktide on Asheron's Call. Completely open PvP, any level vs. any level, became guild v. guild. Unfortunately, the "evil" guild, which ganked anyone they wanted and prevented people from leveling up, beat the "peace" guild which wanted to defend the newbies--in part because the former spent more time levelling and the latter spent time running round defending the newbie areas. I saw the same thing on Sullon Zek, as the "evil" side just levelled, and the "good" and "neutral" defended.

Whatever you think of it (and I never played it) I think this is what DAOC wanted to eliminate--create areas and rewards for PvP, and areas for those who just want to level.

There are only a limited number of players who count achievement as victory over other players, and a limited number of players that accept that getting beat down is a part of PvP. It's significant that there are sometimes more players sitting in EC on blue selling stuff than playing Red.

So, ironically, the best way to get more players on Red, is to open another Blue. Get more people playing P1999 in total, then there will be more people to fill that small percentage who want to play a PvP server, maybe enough to make a viable server.

That, and force more than 1 or 2 guild dominance. Either force teams, or my preference, restrict guild size.