View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Orc

An additional thought that wasn't mentioned above:

Skill is extremely meaningful in EQ. As a result, the game attracts hardcore players who like to know that their skills enable them to be a more effective player. What do I mean by this?

When I played EQ back in 1999 there was a HUGE range of game knowledge and skills. There were enchanters who took forever to mezz, monks who waiting for a mob to die before bringing the next (or perhaps lacked the ability to split), clerics who couldn't time a CH, and myriad other skill deficiencies. An unskilled group was not nearly as effective as a skilled one.

Additionally, skill opens a lot of doors in EQ as EQ gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself. Is it easy to zerg rush dragons with a 72 person raid? Of course. I don't think that's where people derive most of their fun. I think they derive fun from taking a group of 6 people and attempting to 1 group raid content. The same can be said for duoing a Named mob designed for a group. It's fun because your skill is often the difference between winning / dying. In the end, "challenge" in EQ is based on your play style -- and the game permits all levels of challenge.