Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Crashing on /camp (/forums/showthread.php?t=369065)

Noselacri 10-04-2020 05:30 AM

Crashing on /camp

Most of the time when I finish camping, the client crashes. Not every time but I'd say about 75% chance. It doesn't appear to actually log me out either as I'll have a "character in the world" for a few minutes. I never crash while zoning, it's just when camping out. Is this a known issue? I couldn't find anything about it.

https://i.imgur.com/IWKD9qZ.jpg

mcoy 10-04-2020 12:53 PM

Set eqgame.exe to use compatibility mode for XP SP2 (or SP3).

https://wiki.project1999.com/Tech_Su...ing_or_Camping

-Mcoy

Noselacri 10-14-2020 12:40 PM

When I do that, the game can no longer detect my UI or settings files and reverts to the default on every login. What gives?

strongNpretty 10-14-2020 01:06 PM

Hahaha this happens to me on my desktop, but not on my laptop... No idea why, it's been doing this now for like 4 years.. I just accept it as part of EQ, and tell folks when switching toons- "i'll probably crash, brb"

xdrcfrx 10-14-2020 01:21 PM

should also run game in administrator mode. Admin mode + compatability mode resolved most of my crashing issues.

Noselacri 10-14-2020 01:22 PM

Yeah, I just kind of live with it as well but it is a bit annoying.

Vivitron 10-14-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongNpretty (Post 3193739)
Hahaha this happens to me on my desktop, but not on my laptop... No idea why, it's been doing this now for like 4 years.. I just accept it as part of EQ, and tell folks when switching toons- "i'll probably crash, brb"

Some people I play with who experience similar issues mitigate them by using /q instead of /camp when swapping toons.

strongNpretty 10-14-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivitron (Post 3193744)
Some people I play with who experience similar issues mitigate them by using /q instead of /camp when swapping toons.

Fascinating.... Do they do this because the small chance of successfully logging out, isn't worth the 30sec camp out? Honestly i should just do this, why piss around when i know it's just gonna crash anyways...

Vivitron 10-14-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongNpretty (Post 3193746)
Fascinating.... Do they do this because the small chance of successfully logging out, isn't worth the 30sec camp out? Honestly i should just do this, why piss around when i know it's just gonna crash anyways...

30 seconds after the /q you are free of "character in the world", and you can restart the client during those 30 seconds if needed.

Noselacri 10-14-2020 02:27 PM

It does seem to crash easily 90% of the time on /camp and the wait to get back in appears to be the same as on a /q.

I've also noticed that if I camp out immediately after logging in, it doesn't seem to crash. The cause appears to stem from something related to having been online for a while. If I'm camping after a long session, it always crashes. If I log in and camp right away, the chance is less.