Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I forgot how mudflated live eq was (/forums/showthread.php?t=219428)

Troxx 11-21-2015 05:26 PM

I forgot how mudflated live eq was

For kicks and grins I logged into one of my dormant live accounts - level 100 bard buffed out at 110k hp, regening 2500hp a tick just with gear, aa, songs, and aura.

Slaughtered all of WW, ntov, wtov, and halls of testing in about 15-20 minutes without a mercenary. I'd have solo'd AoW as well but he wasn't up.

God bless p99.

The game really was better in the classic era. Luclin and PoP weren't terrible, but Velious was where the game was close to its best. Many would argue that PoP was the final climax before a slow steady decline.

maestrom 11-21-2015 05:30 PM

PoP certainly had some mudflation issues, but PoP is still my favorite content in EQ. Sooooooooo much raid content.

rayeatts 11-21-2015 05:37 PM

This mirrors the exact same way I feel about WoW. The 2nd expansion, wrath of the lich king, was the peak for me.

Strange how an ice-covered 2nd expansion was the peak for both games.

At some point you need to stop adding new levels above 60, 70, 80, or whatever. Level 100 is just too much.

Both games pretty much became terrible when it got to a point where you would decide you wanted to roll a new character only to discover that there is literally nobody else to group with.

What would actually make the entire game(s) better is if they were always adding new starting zones, new leveling zones, new leveling dungeons, instead of always adding more end game content.

They forget that people want a game that has replay value. They mistakenly think that nobody wants to level a toon again.

Well that's true if they have to level it in the same exact place as the last 10 toons!

Bottom line for me is, I'd like to see the whole game expanded. Not just a new end game put on top of the other end game.

Jimjam 11-21-2015 05:38 PM

LOL, AoW still being poopsocked a decade and a half later, perhaps? :D

I remember maybe two years ago on live farming Trakanon on my warrior for fun... The biggest challenge was pulling him close enough to his banish room that he would insta-summon me back into combat after banishment so I could actually fight him. IIRC the doors to the Juggernaut room was where I would fight.

Worst mudflation imo was Kunark.

kaleep 11-21-2015 05:56 PM

easy solo trak kill

to kill trak easily, get a tank merc, get the tank to attack, trak won't banish the merc so in a minute you loot the corpse, kinda cheesy with too many levels.

Swish 11-21-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaleep (Post 2115469)
to kill trak easily, get a tank merc, get the tank to attack, trak won't banish the merc so in a minute you loot the corpse, kinda cheesy with too many levels.

That's disgusting :(

http://i.imgur.com/spBZKhz.gif

Speedi 11-21-2015 06:20 PM

Of course your going to destroy 14 year old content with a nearly maxed toon. You can AFK in ToV on a toon like that and you won't ever die. And yes I know the current max lvl on live is 105.

As far as raiding current content on live it's a bit more complex. One person failing an AT can kill half, or all your raid in seconds. Versus here every encounter on p99 is gear based, and basically tank and spank. No AT's you gotta watch out for, or worrying bout the people next to you blowing you up :)

I will say that overall p99 is more difficult, mainly because of CR's and the difficulty pulling a target when you only got seconds to react. Praise good monks!

But you are right about live, it is watered down, filled with macro quest users, boxers, other hacks and most importantly zero social atmosphere. I stopped playing there myself August 2014 and started here. P99 so much better! :)

maestrom 11-21-2015 06:25 PM

AT?

Danth 11-21-2015 06:48 PM

I haven't played Live in many years. I can't comment on it directly. I can say this: Most stat improvement is little more than an illusion. The stats that actually matter, such as kill rate, tank lifespan, and such things tend to stay the same. Hitting a 1000 hit point monster for 20 is effectively the same as hitting a 100000 hit point monster for 2000. You might feel stronger because you can go back and wreck obsolete content that used to be tough....but it's still no different than going back when you're level 60 and wrecking Black Burrow.

I don't know of any of the Everquest-style online games that have figured out how to control stat inflation. Players expect upgrades with expansions so it isn't an easy problem to solve. As I understand, the problem got so bad in Warcraft that Blizzard actually had to go in and lop off some zeros off everything. Whoever eventually figures out a good solution to the inflation issue might be seen as one of the genre's next big innovators.

Danth

Swish 11-21-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danth (Post 2115505)
I haven't played Live in many years. I can't comment on it directly. I can say this: Most stat improvement is little more than an illusion. The stats that actually matter, such as kill rate, tank lifespan, and such things tend to stay the same. Hitting a 1000 hit point monster for 20 is effectively the same as hitting a 100000 hit point monster for 2000. You might feel stronger because you can go back and wreck obsolete content that used to be tough....but it's still no different than going back when you're level 60 and wrecking Black Burrow.

I don't know of any of the Everquest-style online games that have figured out how to control stat inflation. Players expect upgrades with expansions so it isn't an easy problem to solve. As I understand, the problem got so bad in Warcraft that Blizzard actually had to go in and lop off some zeros off everything. Whoever eventually figures out a good solution to the inflation issue might be seen as one of the genre's next big innovators.

Danth

That's a good point, see Diablo 3 for new levels of ridiculous levels of generated numbers which mean nothing lol. Hitting a mob for 17 million when it has 450 million health etc.