Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Ping and PvP (/forums/showthread.php?t=210337)

Izmael 09-09-2015 05:27 AM

Ping and PvP

I have a ping oscillating between 130 and 150ms. I made a lowbie rogue and jousted a bit, found it hard to land backstabs and generally found the whole experience frustrating.

Which classes should I NOT play at all, from the PvP standpoint, considering the ping?

Which classes SHOULD I play? Obviously wizard / druid, anything else? What if I really want to play some kind of melee?

Share the wisdom, thanks.

Colgate 09-09-2015 05:29 AM

play whatever you want to play

you'll learn to adjust.. but obviously a caster would be easier

hurt 09-09-2015 05:36 AM

I play with 360ms. Don't really notice the ping on a caster. But I can't hit people for shit on a melee.

Izmael 09-09-2015 05:39 AM

I kinda wanna play a rogue but years of playing Quake taught me that when you have a 150 ping and you're dueling someone who has a 30 ping, you'll need a VERY big skill edge in order to prevail.

FaithlessKR 09-09-2015 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izmael (Post 2040166)
I have a ping oscillating between 130 and 150ms. I made a lowbie rogue and jousted a bit, found it hard to land backstabs and generally found the whole experience frustrating.

Which classes should I NOT play at all, from the PvP standpoint, considering the ping?

Which classes SHOULD I play? Obviously wizard / druid, anything else? What if I really want to play some kind of melee?

Share the wisdom, thanks.

Welcome to my life :(

You can still play anything you want with that MS, but unless you really apply yourself to have pinpoint timing (which anyone who figures out your movement patterns can essentially block if they count your backstab cooldown)...then I wouldn't suggest rogue.

Had to deal with that ping the entire time I played on this server and it becomes incredibly frustrating not being able to land backstab rounds not only due to your ping, but the ping differential between you and the person you are fighting. It's actually to land backstabs on people from the east coast than people on the west coast because stutter stepping from both clients leads to a ridiculous variance in the hit boxes.

If you're really dead set on a melee, you could still easily play a monk due to their high avoidance and regen. Or even a warrior because of how tanky they are and if you land a kick it's basically a guaranteed melee round for you.

If you choose to play a caster, play something that isn't super squishy that will die in a single duelist from a rogue, as latency screws you on this account as well. Can't count the amount of times my wizard has been oneshot by an east coast rogue when I really felt like I shouldn't have been getting hit.

Izmael 09-09-2015 05:45 AM

What is your usual ping, Salt? Looks like you still managed to win a BotB as a rogue despite these issues?

Gustoo 09-09-2015 05:59 AM

I still suggest playing whatever class you really enjoy most.

But as colgate suggested caster easier. Really though...pick favorite class and hope things get better or you get better at compensating.

Tassador 09-09-2015 07:31 AM

every time i have died in eq it has been to either going link dead or bad ping.

Beovvulf 09-09-2015 07:58 AM

130-150? lol. try jousting/pulling raids with 600-1k ping on the regular.. the life of an expat.

Truthfully, man, you can get by on virtually any class if you get creative with your movement/tactics. Some have a smaller margin of error but you can still put in work. I play my friends toons and even with my aforementioned ping issues, can land bs fairly consistently. Predictability will ruin you on any melee at any ping.

Just play whatever you want, if you want to go melee and find rogue too difficult, as some others mentioned a war, sk or monk might be easier. SK is great vs mediocre players. Monk allows you some leeway because of high avoidance. Wars, well, they're warriors and kick stun.

I've been screwing around on an enchanter lately, it's quite fun and offers a distinctly different play style than most other casters (if you don't want to wiz / druid). Allows you to pull some stuff out of your ass but can be frustrating at times when certain things go awry.

derpcake 09-09-2015 08:03 AM

150 ms fine if you want to be special olympics melee