Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Dual Wield Ranger (/forums/showthread.php?t=197513)

ghost182 06-09-2015 09:43 PM

Dual Wield Ranger

I'm looking for some feedback on different Dual Wield set-ups for new ranger. This is my 3rd ranger and i'm just bored of the woodsman's staff (sorry!).

So I should preface this by saying I used my starting points in dex this time around, although i wish i went wisdom or stamina. Anyway I am seriously considering rolling with the Steel Hilted Flint Dagger if my dexterity is over 200 when the time comes.

I'm curious what would be a good offhand to work with that? Lupine Dagger, Fayguard Parrying Dagger (which wouldn't proc as much in the offhand, and i find the range on the aoe to be manageable in group settings), Crystalline Short sword, maybe the flux bladed axe for another proc?

I'd also consider not using the steel hilted though, and if so what would be good? Lupine/CSS?

Lartanin63 06-09-2015 11:16 PM

Weilding

So are we talking about for leveling or for like the 50+?
You said new ranger then talked about conflag dagger and fayguard. When time comes at the higher end I would use the fayguard main hand and CSS or a heavy hitter weapon in off hand. Low levels a lamintation and CSS or green jade broad sword works well. The stats are a nice bonus. Lupine is a good main hand as well If you can't get into HS.

Troxx 06-10-2015 12:36 AM

Lamentations suck.

For less than half the price Jace Mace ratio is superior. Stats are cool and all, but the point of your weapons is to kill things. 9/19 isn't terrible ... but it in no way is worth the hefty price.

fiveeauxfour 06-10-2015 12:47 AM

jade mace ratio is 9/18.

that 1 delay, for some, is worth the stats

Troxx 06-10-2015 02:22 AM

It it worth the stats while being double the price?

I'll maintain that for its price its a worthless piece of garbage. You've got a ton of slots to fill where stats can be had. You've only got 2 slots for doing a melee dps's primary job. It's nearly double the price and puts out less damage. IF they were the same price, there's a case to be made that adding 1 delay makes the stats worth it.

Cheap weapons that out-perform Lammy:
Spined Dragon Claws (10/21) 300-400p
Silken Whip of Ensnaring (14/28) 300-500p <-- $$ before aggro proc at 50

SWoE is one of the most under-rated awesome bargains out there. As commented on above, after level 50 you might find yourself with unwanted aggro issues ... but prior to 50 it really is hard to beat the value.

Better weapons that aren't dirt cheap but comparable in some cases:
Wurmslayer (beats the pants off 9/19 until level 60, and even then it's basically =)
CSS
Jade mace

Heck, Sarnak skullsplitter and green jade broadsword are just barely worse and they're nearly 1/10th the price. This doesn't even account for the various 2handers out there which will outperform Lamentation (especially at low levels), but the OP stated he was looking for DW.

Avoid the lammy and spend that money elsewhere imo. It's a fine weapon, don't get me wrong, it's just not priced well. Focus of your weapon slots should be dishing out damage. Save your lammy money and invest in the rest of your gear. If you're so loaded that you don't need that money for other slots ... you're loaded enough to buy weaponry a lot better than a lamentation to begin with. If your only concern is functional fashionquest ... I do happen to like the graphic on the lamentation ... so it is good for that I guess.

Lartanin63 06-10-2015 04:37 AM

Just wondering where are you pulling these prices from? You can pick up a lammy for 1.5k and a jade mace avg price is about the same? Lamentation average is 1.6k and Jade mace is 1.4k. I'm just wondering if you have any data for the dps for the weapons. I personally don't. I have used many of the weapons I have suggested. I've used a Lammy/Green jade broadsword on both my rangers I've played. So for 2k I've had the same 2 weapons for a long period of time.

Troxx 06-10-2015 05:01 AM

jade mace I have bought and sold (at least 3x for both buy and sell) for 1k-1100 several times in the last 9 months as I've played some alts.

I have yet to see lamentation anywhere near as cheap as JM (average price closer to 2k).

As for the rest of the weapons, price tracker on wiki is mildly useful for that sort of thing.

Prices and quoted availability reflect the blue server.

http://ahungry.com/eqauctions is also a good reference for more recent sale (and buy) prices within the last 24-96 hours

dalaimoc 06-10-2015 05:12 AM

I have bought and sold 6 Lammys so far. I usually buy around 1500 and sell around 1800 - 2000.
The +6 str, +6sta +30 hp x 2 is well worth the difference to the Jade Mace.

Thiefboy777 06-10-2015 05:24 AM

Lammy has always been priced high because it looks cool, I mean if you've got money to burn two matching swords looks pretty nice.

ghost182 06-10-2015 09:21 AM

this ranger is lvl 35. I'm just using spring wood staff at the moment and will probably swap to swarm caller from 46-50. Thats where my question is about a dual wield set up. Right now I'm leaning to steel hilted main hand and fayguard offhand