Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warrior Questions from a Noob (/forums/showthread.php?t=1628)

Shaun421 12-22-2009 03:13 PM

Warrior Questions from a Noob

Greetings all,

I am interested in creating a Warrior, a class which I have never played, and I wanted to gather some opinions and advice from the friendly forum folk. Searching through the net I can find very little information on classic everquest warriors.

So what are your thoughts on race selection and stat distribution. Also, what stats to look for on gear. AC vs Stats, Str vs Sta, etc. Good items to keep an eye on early levels? Suggested places to level up?

Any and all information on warriors would be helpful and muchly appriciated.

Finawin 12-22-2009 03:26 PM

STA is your most important stat to influence your HP

Tanks are HP.

Everything else is secondary.

Zarniwooop 12-22-2009 04:21 PM

Everyone levels in the same places.

There's not enough people on the server to really support much diversity.

One horrible note is that hhk has apparently been given a 90 percent exp penalty because someone was exploiting there somehow. Almost criminal that this hasn't been lifted or fixed. Brilliant old school zone.

So you'll do the starter dungeon where you live, ten get to oasis as soon as possible with everyone else on the server.

Then you'll go to uguk and sola then you'll go to solb and lguk.

Just about everyone on the server that isn't a solo class has exclusively leveled in those zones.

Edit: you can add mistmore to that along with a derv camp or two.

guineapig 12-22-2009 04:50 PM

Maybe Unrest... if you're playing a Dwarf or gnome. But Paly tanks do much better there.
Also, Splitpaw has been seeing some action lately too since I think it also benefited from the ZEM and more druids have been porting people around recently.
Then there are various derv and bandit camps, and HHP.... and Najena just cause it's so close to a city.
I think people only go to Befallen for quests and loot.

So it has been expanding outwards a little bit, but for the most part, Zarniwooop is correct.

President 12-22-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarniwooop (Post 10935)
One horrible note is that hhk has apparently been given a 90 percent exp penalty because someone was exploiting there somehow. Almost criminal that this hasn't been lifted or fixed. Brilliant old school zone.

I thought they only xp penalties the gobbo's in the basement? wrong?

Shaun421 12-22-2009 05:58 PM

Alright, so I have a pretty good idea of where to level. I think my more pressing questions are in regards to stats.

What race would you pick and why? What stats would you put your starting points into and why?

I see one person respond that STA is above all else. Agree or disagree? AC more important than stats?

President 12-22-2009 06:34 PM

Your looking into it too much.. Pick whatever race you WANT to pick.. pump your starting stats into STA + STR. (some could argue agi/dex but whatever). And get fighting.

In the long run, it's not going to matter all that much.

Really the only thing that may or may not piss you off.. is if you pick a non-large race, after armoring up, you will get encumbered really easy looting stuff. If you want to be able to pack-rat everything you can loot, you may want to think about troll/ogre/barb.

Myrkskog 12-22-2009 07:15 PM

I think most of us are here for the fun/nostalgia, so really pick what makes you happiest. That being said...

Ogres by far have the best stats, as well as frontal stun immunity(holy shit that's awesome). Trolls have regen which can make soloing at the start an easier pill to swallow, but who wants to solo as a warrior anyway.

If you don't like being an ugly ogre or troll, pick a barbarian. They only have a -5% exp bonus, compared to -20%(I think) for ogre and troll and they still get slam.

Those are the 3 races that get slam, which interrupts casting. Slam gives these guys such a huge advantage over the smaller races that unless your only concern is looking pretty, there is no reason to choose anything other than one of these 3.

As far as stats, you are a tank. Dump your points into stamina. Some things to be aware of: You get a big AC boost for having 75+ agility. Str not only determines whether you will get encumbered(and thus lose the agi bonus), but also the damage you do. Dex affects how often weapons will proc as well as how often you Critical hit.

Personally I would make an ogre warrior, dump all my points into stamina, and search primarily for ac or sta gear, and if it comes with some str or dex its a bonus.

Taluvill 12-23-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrkskog (Post 10971)
Personally I would make an ogre warrior, dump all my points into stamina, and search primarily for ac or sta gear, and if it comes with some str or dex its a bonus.

This. ^^^

Only thing i would add to this is that tanking in this game is HIGHLY influenced on weapon procs. So some dex here and there never hurt anyone.

yarmond1 12-23-2009 10:07 AM

AC is king for tanks unless there is some kind of different element on this emu server that makes it not so. AC > all. (tanks)