Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Monk noob help! (/forums/showthread.php?t=261282)

Bagger 12-26-2016 11:03 PM

Monk noob help!

Hey folks!
My 5 other dudes and I are gonna try EQ for the first time together. I'm gonna be the group'a Monk.
Do you have some tips and tricks (key binds, macros etc) I could use. How can I be most effective in my group and which are my best utilities? And where would u put your bonus stats into? Just 20 Strength ? Gonna be a filthy Human btw ^^

The rest of the group is:
Warrior
Cleric
Shaman
Enchanter
Rogue

Varren 12-27-2016 12:49 AM

Pulling for this group will be a full time job. You will probably be working harder than any of the rest. As puller, its your job to understand the limits of your enchanter's skill and your group's ability, then to pull as close to that limit as you feel comfortable with.

With the dps there, you will probably be chain pulling more often than not. Learn the tricks of FD/sneak pulling. I would shy away from macros for the most part, so you can really learn the class.

As a 55 human monk, I am happy that I put my points into stamina. A little added str does nothing for a puller, and helps in dps mode just a tad. Multiple FD fails or funky pulls happen often enough, and those extra hps have made the difference when it counted before.

One suggestion: get a good Ui. Check out QQUI (can google it). I like it, but you'll need to do another search to learn how to darken up the windows so you can actually read the text.

Bagger 12-27-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varren (Post 2431085)
Pulling for this group will be a full time job. You will probably be working harder than any of the rest. As puller, its your job to understand the limits of your enchanter's skill and your group's ability, then to pull as close to that limit as you feel comfortable with.

With the dps there, you will probably be chain pulling more often than not. Learn the tricks of FD/sneak pulling. I would shy away from macros for the most part, so you can really learn the class.

As a 55 human monk, I am happy that I put my points into stamina. A little added str does nothing for a puller, and helps in dps mode just a tad. Multiple FD fails or funky pulls happen often enough, and those extra hps have made the difference when it counted before.

One suggestion: get a good Ui. Check out QQUI (can google it). I like it, but you'll need to do another search to learn how to darken up the windows so you can actually read the text.

Ok, ty for your answer!
So how do they look from a dps perspective ?

Pyrion 12-27-2016 09:44 AM

Such a group can steamroll any group content, nice classes you got. One little problem: No ports in your group. Could replace shaman with druid, but of course that would put more stress on the chanter. Well, can't have everything i guess :)

Monks really don't need macros. You just need to level that all important FD skill and learn all of its uses.

Bagger 12-27-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrion (Post 2431211)
Such a group can steamroll any group content, nice classes you got. One little problem: No ports in your group. Could replace shaman with druid, but of course that would put more stress on the chanter. Well, can't have everything i guess :)

Monks really don't need macros. You just need to level that all important FD skill and learn all of its uses.

Hope there are videos on YouTube, so I can get the jist of it ^^
Well we had to choose either a Shaman or a Druid, and the gal would rather play Shaman, so

Jimjam 12-27-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagger (Post 2431209)
Ok, ty for your answer!
So how do they look from a dps perspective ?

Monks are excellent dps as well as strong tanks, however you need to remember that you might end up spending much of your time pulling whilst the rest of the group is finishing off your previous pull. It is not really efficient to wear too many hats at once.

Bagger 12-27-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2431238)
Monks are excellent dps as well as strong tanks, however you need to remember that you might end up spending much of your time pulling whilst the rest of the group is finishing off your previous pull. It is not really efficient to wear too many hats at once.

Pull, pull and pull ... Got it!

mev 12-27-2016 03:38 PM

I wrote a monk guide based on my experience on P99: http://wiki.project1999.com/Meviin%27s_Monk_Mechanics

Nothing wrong with being a filthy human if that's what you want to do. That said, Iksar are the better min/max choice, and faction isn't really a problem for monks due to FD and sneak -- I can bank anywhere.

I use DuxaUI rather than QQUI, but really, any non-default UI is fine.

Bagger 12-27-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mev (Post 2431364)
I wrote a monk guide based on my experience on P99: http://wiki.project1999.com/Meviin%27s_Monk_Mechanics

Nothing wrong with being a filthy human if that's what you want to do. That said, Iksar are the better min/max choice, and faction isn't really a problem for monks due to FD and sneak -- I can bank anywhere.

I use DuxaUI rather than QQUI, but really, any non-default UI is fine.

Excellent! I was looking for something like that! Awesome dude

Would you also recommend to put 20 stats into Stamina?

Izmael 12-27-2016 07:15 PM

Make sure you train Feigh Death and Sneak to the max ASAP each level. Search the forums for "sneak pulling" and "monk feign death" and you'll be 90% set.