Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Might come back, Necro or Enchanter? (/forums/showthread.php?t=430781)

Hailto 04-28-2024 08:22 PM

Might come back, Necro or Enchanter?

Played alot on Blue server back in the day and I have a mid 40s Druid on Green. I think I'm going to give P99 another shot but can't decide if I want to play Necro or Enchanter, I think I have a few k plat on my druid to spend on gear.

Kinda leaning towards Necro cause I like the class more but I also enjoy grouping alot and I'm not sure how bad the leveling scene is on green. Are people going to spurn my Necro cause it isnt the most optimal for the ideal Twink duo or trio?

spoil 04-28-2024 11:01 PM

I dunno about green but all along the beaten exp path there are undead mobs to charm in UR > CoM > HS > KC.

Videri 04-29-2024 12:47 AM

Necros are awesome in groups. I think most players regard them as a DPS class, and you don't usually turn down more damage (because damage = exp). But they can actually heal, twitch, and even pull if needed. I'm sure you know that, but you'll really wow some groups if you know how to play this game.

I play characters of various levels here and there, and I really think grouping is usually feasible at most hours atm.

zelld52 04-29-2024 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hailto (Post 3682863)
Kinda leaning towards Necro cause I like the class more

youve got your answer, laddy. necro is great in groups. there arent many levelling spots where groups happen on green anymore -- but necro has a lot of options for levelling outside of groups.

lots of undead charm spots that are pretty empty these days. both classes are very self-sufficient -- but necro is a bit lenient with FD and all

Toxigen 04-29-2024 10:41 AM

lazy necros give the class a bad rep

if you want to sit afk and send your pet in, play a mage

they're fantastic in groups and pair / trio very well with lots of combos...necro + bard and you don't even need a dedicated healer for most xp groups

cd288 04-29-2024 12:07 PM

I would just dust off your Enchanter alt on Blue and play that

DeathsSilkyMist 04-29-2024 01:14 PM

If you don't have an existing Enchanter or Necro already, I would just roll Enchanter. You will probably get more group requests, and they have a higher endgame ceiling than Necromancer.

Necromancer is easier to play though, so that is the better option if you want a playstyle that doesn't require as much focus.

cd288 04-29-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist (Post 3682896)
If you don't have an existing Enchanter or Necro already, I would just roll Enchanter. You will probably get more group requests, and they have a higher endgame ceiling than Necromancer.

Necromancer is easier to play though, so that is the better option if you want a playstyle that doesn't require as much focus.

It's funny, I actually find Enchanter leveling simpler. Like sure it requires focus and monitoring the HP of two mobs/being ready for a Charm break, but once you get the hang of it it's so simple. A lot of the time once the fight is going it's just sit, med, break Charm, two nukes, done.

Necro pre-root is like okay how many ticks till fear wears off, if the mob paths toward me sufficiently get up and move so you have enough space with the snare to re-fear, etc...I mean, still very simple but I actually felt like my Enchanter leveling was less active a majority of the time (speaking about general XP content not like deep dungeon diving).

spoil 04-29-2024 06:20 PM

Assuming everything goes smoothly enchanter is easy to level. It's not having that FD safety net when things go wrong that makes it harder. Also depends on how hard you're pushing it, reverse charming is more active/risk.

DeathsSilkyMist 04-29-2024 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd288 (Post 3682913)
It's funny, I actually find Enchanter leveling simpler. Like sure it requires focus and monitoring the HP of two mobs/being ready for a Charm break, but once you get the hang of it it's so simple. A lot of the time once the fight is going it's just sit, med, break Charm, two nukes, done.

Necro pre-root is like okay how many ticks till fear wears off, if the mob paths toward me sufficiently get up and move so you have enough space with the snare to re-fear, etc...I mean, still very simple but I actually felt like my Enchanter leveling was less active a majority of the time (speaking about general XP content not like deep dungeon diving).

I agree. Enchanter leveling by Charming trash as you describe isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it. You can also play it really safe by not hasting/torching your pet if you want to. Slower kill speed, but less chance of a bad break going south.

Necros are a bit lazier because you don't need to find a mob to charm (just use Skeleton pet), and FD saves you recovery time. Worst case scenario an Enchanter will have to gate to save themselves. Depending on the zone that can take a little while to get back to where-ever you were, and it can mess up your respawn timers.