Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   classic open source (/forums/showthread.php?t=403852)

DRAGONBAIT 06-02-2022 06:48 AM

classic open source

So ive found that there are some guys, nostalgiaeq, trying to setup an open source working place so anyone will be able to setup his own classic eq server with classic quests and database etc, i think this kind of open source work is what we need if we want to be able to have a working and populated classic pvp server (since p99 guys wont release their database and code).
Have anyone of u know of these guys?
Know anything about the project?

I just downloaded the server, client and database and packed it all together and was able to launch a server, see it on the eqemu server list and login, so now i can start going thru the databse to make it more classic. I just want to mess around but i was wondering whats up with this nostalgiaeq project.

Gustoo 06-02-2022 10:28 AM

Seems cool I’ve never tried to put a server up. I love exploring zones

Tradesonred 06-02-2022 11:59 AM

U need a h4cker like Rogean to run it though or it will be a 3rd party cheat fest

PlsNoBan 06-02-2022 05:46 PM

Imagine how cool it'd be if P99 was open source. Wouldn't have to wait for Red2.0 that's never coming. Someone could just make their own without going through literal years of bug fixing and patching to get to where P99 is.

Gustoo 06-02-2022 08:25 PM

Gotta make it secure by making it require installing a keylogger for security purposes.

Pro tip always play eq on your work / corporate computer.

trusken 06-06-2022 11:05 AM

This sounds like a good way to lower reds population even more

Jibartik 06-06-2022 01:54 PM

It'd be cool if it was open source, but still required the keys for all servers to be held by the server side code so R/N could control all the servers.

Darksinga 06-08-2022 12:16 PM

A quick read through Nostalgiaeq’s page looks like they worked on a classic database/source using Titanium for 1 month (September last year,) before going to a project based in Unity instead.

The Lantern Project is already doing this in Unity and has an active Discord with regular updates.

At this point in time, I don’t know a single person capable of hosting a server for the PvP community that wants a full classic project like P99.

Really, the only way to get full classic anyway is to use the Trilogy client which doesn’t run very well on Windows 7 and higher. There are some workarounds but Trilogy was built for Windows XP I believe.

Now you may see a drugbox in the future, but I highly doubt you’ll get anything remotely like P99 due to the time it would take to create and maintain such a resource, coupled with the fact it would be thousands of hours for a community of a few hundred people.