Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Cannot decide on class (/forums/showthread.php?t=414098)

b_rob242 01-23-2023 11:17 PM

Cannot decide on class

Hey there,
I'm returning to P99 after a years-long break. I'm restarting on Green, and I'm considering really pushing myself to group more.
I played a solo Necro mostly before.
I really don't know group mechanics much, so I don't know what to play. I keep thinking about either druid or cleric. I have a level 4 HIE CLR that I've just been soloing outside Felwithe. I am a bit apprehensive because I perceive others will assume I know what I'm doing in my class. Probably a silly assumption, but it's there, nonetheless.
I don't have a guild, but I hear <Castle> may fit my play style.
That's about it for now.
Newish player, new class and no guild as of yet.

magnetaress 01-23-2023 11:46 PM

Clerics r ez keep going until ur 20. If it doesn't fit try druid. Or ench. U don't have to be g-dlike and charm.

Mage is probably the 2cnd most ez and grp friendly nexto cleric.

There's going to be groups that are full of tryhards that pull difficult camps Just outside their lvl range and fight until they're at 2% hp. Just ignore them. And gate out if they're being dumb.

Jimjam 01-24-2023 03:20 AM

Loads of terrible players despite a quarter century of practice. No one will care if you don’t play perfectly.

Lots of players are bossy know it alls and will happily provide coaching whether you solicit it or not.

What server are you on?

b_rob242 01-24-2023 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3561694)
What server are you on?

JimJam, I'm on Green as of now. I just play my Necro on blue. Slogging through 54 there. But I want to start fresh on Green since the lower zones seem more active there.

b_rob242 01-24-2023 06:10 AM

I appreciate the positive feedback. This helps a bit.

Encroaching Death 01-24-2023 07:07 AM

I'd say play around with a Druid.

They have multiple different play styles so you can learn a little bit of everything. Root rotting, charming, fear kiting, quad kiting, etc.

Then find out what play style you enjoy the most and play the class that fits with that play style.

b_rob242 01-24-2023 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encroaching Death (Post 3561723)
I'd say play around with a Druid.

They have multiple different play styles so you can learn a little bit of everything. Root rotting, charming, fear kiting, quad kiting, etc.

Then find out what play style you enjoy the most and play the class that fits with that play style.

Cool! All that stuff sounds familiar since I played Necro just without being evil. LOL
I have a druid on blue I've been working on. He's only level 5 currently. I may see how things pan out between that and the cleric. Thanks!

svelto 01-24-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_rob242 (Post 3561728)
Cool! All that stuff sounds familiar since I played Necro just without being evil. LOL
I have a druid on blue I've been working on. He's only level 5 currently. I may see how things pan out between that and the cleric. Thanks!

If grouping is important to you, I would suggest Cleric, but I suggest this with a little trepidation. As Jimjam said, lot's of bossy players, and over the years of playing different games, I've come to the conclusion that when things go south, often times the healer is pegged as the reason. Sort of the low hanging fruit when it comes time to play the blame game.

My cleric is an alt and only level 35ish, and I can't say I've encountered that mind set here. But my cleric is seldom played, so who knows.

b_rob242 01-24-2023 08:38 AM

Looking through my roster on blue, apparently I got a cleric to 15 at some point. I don't remember much of that leveling experience. She's a HFL CLR in Qeynos. Maybe BB leveling. I do remember the Shining Star of Light quest, though.

Toxigen 01-24-2023 11:41 AM

Don't bother with a druid. They're largely shunned from groups. Its unfortunate but reality. If you're hell-bent on it, learn the ways of animal charming and find cool people to duo / trio with (you can pick them up and bring them to your charming spots).

Cleric is great, and you can do a lot more than just sit until someone needs a heal. Later on you can look for enchanters to duo with for very rewarding experience.

It really depends on what you want to excel at...and what your capacity as a player is. It sounds like you're leaning towards that support kind of role, though...so I'll break down your options:

If you're into min/max and playing at 100%, then enchanter or bard is your choice. You'll be expected to be on your game nearly all the time with either of these two.

If you're feeling bit more casual, that cleric is perfect. Shaman is a bit more well-rounded option.

Don't be afraid to group on that necro either! Head to Karnor's Castle. Keep your group flowing with heals, twitches, CC, etc.