Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Casters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   How well can Mages farm guards? (/forums/showthread.php?t=411952)

Vanessa 12-09-2022 02:15 AM

How well can Mages farm guards?

I usually see Necros killing guards, or Druids / Wizards quadding dwarves or some guards in the Karanas. But I don't often see Mages killing them. Why is that?

Are Mages not really a good class for killing / farming guards?

PatChapp 12-09-2022 09:32 AM

Mages are great guard farmers. I lvls mine largely off guards until 50 or so.
They lack cc,so it can be a bit hard to split some.
Not a lot of people play mages, in comparison to the other guard farming classes

Encroaching Death 12-09-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatChapp (Post 3542389)
They lack cc,so it can be a bit hard to split some.

^ This is probably the main reason.

I leveled my Necro from 49-58 on guards alone.

You definitely need some sort of CC. Timing your pulls can possibly reduce the need for CC, but sometimes shit just happens beyond your control and that's when it's nice to have CC and/or Feign Death.

Encroaching Death 12-09-2022 09:39 AM

I know Mages camp the ogre guards in Neriak Foreign Quarter, so there are definitely spots where it is possible.

I imagine Freeport (at least West Freeport) is possible. Oggok guards seem to single pull sometimes.

Mages get root, so you could use the "root, then zone" splitting method.

PatChapp 12-09-2022 09:50 AM

Mages do not get root, they get a pet that can proc it

Tann 12-09-2022 09:51 AM

I've killed the BB dock dwarves on my mage, you can get at least 2 of them single, if dealing with a double spawn I'd think that if earth bro can live long enough for you to burn down 1 and log off you could split em that way.

PatChapp 12-09-2022 09:52 AM

The way I would do it on my mage,assuming just 2 guards to split.
Send pet on one, kite the other around. Either zone or resummon, trying to get a couple mins in between the kills. You will eat half the xp on the first split but after that you can do the one pet per mob method and get full xp.

Snaggles 12-09-2022 10:40 AM

If you can split out a camp you can time repops.

In general though they have exceptional pets and nukes, it's just everything else this game demands where they lack. You only need one 6.40 spawn that's blue to hit 60.

As for "farming" yea they are quite good and you can even summon up half a dozen 100% WR 10 slot bags to transfer to a mule porter. They are just not great at burning down 4k hp guards that hit for 120+.

loramin 12-09-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 3542352)
I usually see Necros killing guards, or Druids / Wizards quadding dwarves or some guards in the Karanas. But I don't often see Mages killing them. Why is that?

You have to keep in mind, all Necromancers are evil, so they have no issue killing good guards. But most Mages are good, so people are hesitant to kill those friendly dwarves they used to do business with back when they first left GFay or Steamfont ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 3542352)

Mages wreck Grobb: the only class better is the unclassically OP Enchanters (or maybe Bards, but I never see them in there). If you want to kill guards as a Mage for XP, and get pretty decent plat for that level (each guard drops a sword worth 11 plat, plus potentially a shield and neck that sell for a plat each), see: Hunting in Grobb.

Balimon 12-11-2022 01:25 AM

Mage's are great for city guards, Neriak Third Gate and Felwithe being the only ones you wouldn't really want to be farming. You probably don't see Mages killing guards because there aren't many people leveling them, especially past 55 these days. I often farm Kelethin guards for cash if I want an easy camp, I can keep most of them down even with gating and selling.