Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   How difficult was it to get Mage pets on Green release? (/forums/showthread.php?t=411557)

Vanessa 11-29-2022 01:50 PM

How difficult was it to get Mage pets on Green release?

When Green originally released, there were no vendors for pets, right? Or at least, at a certain level they stopped being sold?

How difficult was it for new Mages to get pet upgrades?
Were higher level Mages just stuck with pets that were like 20 levels under them?

PatChapp 11-29-2022 02:10 PM

Yes.

cd288 11-29-2022 02:16 PM

I've heard varying accounts, but the majority seem to be that it was very difficult. Some people had an easier time, but there will always be those who luck out on the RNG and get the research component drops they need. Although I seem to remember that some of the spells weren't even in the game for the first couple months, research or not (someone else could confirm that though).

Occasionally you could find a caster who had leveled up research a lot and had mats as well, but that was pricey.

Worth noting though that a lot of later mage pets are research only regardless, so having like one pet available on a vendor isn't absolutely a massive improvement anyway.

PabloEdvardo 11-29-2022 07:28 PM

mages were limited to their lvl34(?) pet until something like the solro patch

basically they were severely underpowered at launch once you got to 39+

Quote:

Worth noting though that a lot of later mage pets are research only regardless, so having like one pet available on a vendor isn't absolutely a massive improvement anyway.
That's not true at all because that 1 vendor mage pet at 44 and 49 is much better than being stuck with your 34 pet

PatChapp 11-29-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PabloEdvardo (Post 3538900)

That's not true at all because that 1 vendor mage pet at 44 and 49 is much better than being stuck with your 34 pet

For sure,I leveled my velious era mage with vendor only pets until 50+. Slightly inconvenient at a couple levels at the worst

Vanessa 11-29-2022 09:47 PM

Hmm, I also remember most groups taking Mages over like everything else during the first couple months. I remember it was mostly Mages who were easily camping a lot of those limited time items as well, right?

Were they really doing that with just the level 34 pets?

Fammaden 11-29-2022 11:17 PM

Forget the early days of the deliberately missing pets, the words for 49 pet spell research were like tens of thousands of plat per page in classic. Yes, the same words everyone starts deleting left and right in Kunark. Shit was stupid.

cd288 11-30-2022 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatChapp (Post 3538928)
For sure,I leveled my velious era mage with vendor only pets until 50+. Slightly inconvenient at a couple levels at the worst

If you’re soloing sure

VincentVolaju 11-30-2022 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fammaden (Post 3538971)
Forget the early days of the deliberately missing pets, the words for 49 pet spell research were like tens of thousands of plat per page in classic. Yes, the same words everyone starts deleting left and right in Kunark. Shit was stupid.

I'm guessing that'll be the same way again on Green 2.0?

I was thinking of going Mage this time around myself, but if it's going to be that hard / expensive to get pets, I dunno bout it ... lol

Cen 11-30-2022 06:41 PM

A lot of forum posts complained about the difficulty. I then found a weird thing happening where all the low level kithkor day mobs dropped all types of spell crafting ingredients and the zone was getting super farmed by mages for a bit until the spell update patch

don't know if they fixed kithkor but keep it open as an option for easy words and stuff maybe