Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Human Brain Computer (/forums/showthread.php?t=394030)

Gustoo 11-01-2021 02:42 PM

Human Brain Computer

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...qXkLHBtjCd84g4

Discuss article that suggests discarding poor analogies.

Tunabros 11-01-2021 02:46 PM

the real life mentat

Gustoo 11-01-2021 02:54 PM

The summarized premise is that the analogy between the human brain and a computer is one that we use without adequate acknowledgement of its shortcomings and this concept has likely hindered our progress in understanding our own brains rather than helped it.

Just yesterday I heard someone in a group of people say "Yeah they're working on downloading your brain into a computer" and someone else immediately agreed "Yeah they will do that in no time" I chimed in and said "well they can download your shopping behavior surely but thats about it" because that is pretty much all the brain science we have today - the stuff Facebook collects that pairs certain interaction data with the financial data which allows for better predictive models than ever before.

But it's no where near putting an adequate facsimile of any humans brain into a computer.

Jibartik 11-01-2021 03:10 PM

My ultimate chicken and the egg question is:

Are computers and animals identical because we designed computers to imitate us, or were we designed to imitate a computer?

Jibartik 11-01-2021 03:14 PM

The way google visual machine learning works is identical to the way the human brain processes images.

Computers have the same organs we do for the same reasons, we just have more features.

Organic lenses never fog.

Organic tissue can heal itself easier than mechanical.

organic tissue can mr fusion food and garbage into energy (like back to the future 2)

Every day little machines literally PRINT your DNA and make you into a walking, self replicating DNA printing machine, computer.

https://i.imgur.com/twxLrvc.gif

Gustoo 11-01-2021 03:20 PM

The best machines follow natural principles to the best of our ability to make them do so.

The point here is that a computer and the way it processes data is nothing like a brain.

We build machines that work the way we know they will work. We make non biological life imitate biological life.

Trexller 11-01-2021 03:25 PM

what do you folks think will occur first, a computer that can host the human consciousness, or a machine that can keep the brain alive indefinitely?

Jibartik 11-01-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3382269)
what do you folks think will occur first, a computer that can host the human consciousness, or a machine that can keep the brain alive indefinitely?

Great question, I wonder if we'll ever even be able to really define what a human consciousness is, before we develop something that says it has one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustoo (Post 3382267)
The best machines follow natural principles to the best of our ability to make them do so.

The point here is that a computer and the way it processes data is nothing like a brain.

We build machines that work the way we know they will work. We make non biological life imitate biological life.

Whale biologist 11-01-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunabros (Post 3382247)
the real life mentat

Got it backwards. They did a jihad over computer humans and human computers came after.

robayon 11-01-2021 03:36 PM

I always thought it was good to be skeptical of supposed AI or brain downloading type of stuff, unless it's obviously in some fictional context

But how do you explain the McRib NFT?! Technology can clearly do wonders now