Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SK vs. Paladin (/forums/showthread.php?t=416284)

Trexller 03-09-2023 04:40 PM

SK vs. Paladin

Posting this here as opposed to the tank forum for increased visibility

I know I know, its been done 1000 times in /ooc, guild chat, /shout, discord, every EQ forum etc.

I've never played either class to end game, and am seriously considering starting one up, either sk or paladin

many will say, "play the class you like" thing is, I just like EverQuest, and i'll be making the Knight on TAKP. (until green 2.0 launches) So my options for gear are alot wider.

ofc i know these are p99 forums, however there is a wealth of crowdsourced knowledge in this community that isn't quite as prevalent in their community.

So SK vs Pal, im looking for objective opinion, rant or flame, or peer reviewed case study.

While very similiar, SK and Pal offer very different utilites. Which is the better group tank? which is the better snap agro? does FD lifetap and snare outweigh Paci, stuns, decent buffs and undead slays? or anything else that you feel is revelant to the SK/Pal decision is appreciated.

im not worried about gear, i'll be able to get very good stuff, so this is a question of versatility and utility.

If there's already an SK vs. Pal thread that i missed, perhaps someone would provide the link

What do you folks think? Thank you in advance.

Ripqozko 03-09-2023 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3586501)
Posting this here as opposed to the tank forum for increased visibility

I know I know, its been done 1000 times in /ooc, guild chat, /shout, discord, every EQ forum etc.

I've never played either class to end game, and am seriously considering starting one up, either sk or paladin

many will say, "play the class you like" thing is, I just like EverQuest, and i'll be making the Knight on TAKP. (until green 2.0 launches) So my options for gear are alot wider.

ofc i know these are p99 forums, however there is a wealth of crowdsourced knowledge in this community that isn't quite as prevalent in their community.

So SK vs Pal, im looking for objective opinion, rant or flame, or peer reviewed case study.

While very similiar, SK and Pal offer very different utilites. Which is the better group tank? which is the better snap agro? does FD lifetap and snare outweigh Paci, stuns, decent buffs and undead slays? or anything else that you feel is revelant to the SK/Pal decision is appreciated.

im not worried about gear, i'll be able to get very good stuff, so this is a question of versatility and utility.

If there's already an SK vs. Pal thread that i missed, perhaps someone would provide the link

What do you folks think? Thank you in advance.

Sorry you don't got mouse scroll, hope that helps.

Toxigen 03-09-2023 04:53 PM

Do you like being the absolute worst class for the endgame? Go SK

The winner is Paladin and its not even close.

Trexller 03-09-2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripqozko (Post 3586503)
Sorry you don't got mouse scroll, hope that helps.

i learned to live without it, didn't take very long either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3586515)
The winner is Paladin and its not even close.

Why is this?

Smoofers 03-09-2023 04:59 PM

I think druid takes the cake for worst class endgame. SKs can still offtank trash with their snap aggro.

Chortles Snortles 03-09-2023 05:00 PM

straight vs gay

Toxigen 03-09-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3586519)
i learned to live without it, didn't take very long either.

Why is this?

Paladins can tank anything a SK can (slowable mobs) in the raid scene but they also bring DS and Soulfire clicks.

I assume you're going to twink the shit out of this character. Paladin is a hoot. You can do the high ZEM solo dungeon crawl (Warrens 1-23, Permafrost 23-32, CT 32-43, etc) just calming shit like a boss. Who needs FD when you can pull singles 99.5% of the time?

Trexller 03-09-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3586525)
calming shit like a boss. Who needs FD when you can pull singles 99.5% of the time?

I definitely agree with that, but i was told that Pal paci against PoP mobs is useless, while ench/clr/bard can paci everything, and i've already got ench/cler leveled up

I'm leaning toward Pal, but i've got real FOMO over FD/snare

Evia 03-09-2023 05:23 PM

I'd say if you were making here to go SK. The ability to FD and instant invis is pretty top-tier and tough to beat.

On TAKp though if play a paladin. Paladins with the right AAs could solo kunark dragons in pop era.

Swish 03-09-2023 05:25 PM

Might be worth asking the same question on the TAKP forums.

Personally I'd go SK as its a more fun tank experience. Most of the time you've got that other utility in your group anyway... and I'd rather have a cleric for cleric spells and not be overlapping.

Also ogres/trolls have extra value/HP.