Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bear Defense Sidearm (/forums/showthread.php?t=430243)

Patriam1066 04-02-2024 09:00 AM

Bear Defense Sidearm

I have a smith and Wesson .44 mag revolver with a 6” barrel. This good? A lot of people I met in alaska said go with a semi automatic 10mm for capacity. Anyone with outdoors (255) have insight? Thanks and God bless

Toxigen 04-02-2024 09:01 AM

do you feel lucky?

the only thing better would be a .500

Patriam1066 04-02-2024 09:29 AM

I would think so too but apparently the Glock 10mm semi auto is pretty much the go to choice because of the magazine capacity. I was considering a Sig Xten which is their polymer semi auto 10mm

Just to clarify, this is for back country hiking / camping in grizzly territory. Also, I am familiar with the smith and Wesson as I’ve used it for hog and boar hunting

booter 04-02-2024 10:02 AM

i've hiked around griz a lot, all you need is bear spray

if you were going to be around polar bears, then I would suggest a gun, and a long one

Duik 04-02-2024 10:52 AM

Im sure god would want the bear to eat.
Give bigly to one of gods great creations!

Patriam1066 04-02-2024 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booter (Post 3680538)
i've hiked around griz a lot, all you need is bear spray

if you were going to be around polar bears, then I would suggest a gun, and a long one

I did alaska for a year where 99% of the time all I had was bear spray so in general I agree, but I want to start moose and elk hunting in bear country and I’d rather be safe than sorry (I bow hunt so I wouldn’t be carrying a rifle). I will definitely still try to not agro a bear and wouldn’t pull a gun unless I’m being charged and it’s too late to try something else

magnetaress 04-02-2024 11:05 AM

Multiple rounds will just piss it off until it finally dies if your lucky. Butt are the sure thing.

1 shot isn't going to do it.

magnetaress 04-02-2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriam1066 (Post 3680544)
I did alaska for a year where 99% of the time all I had was bear spray so in general I agree, but I want to start moose and elk hunting in bear country and I’d rather be safe than sorry (I bow hunt so I wouldn’t be carrying a rifle). I will definitely still try to not agro a bear and wouldn’t pull a gun unless I’m being charged and it’s too late to try something else

if that mother fucker is stalking u lawl idk if bears are ambush or stalkers but mountain lions are fuckin killers

u best be prepared to leave the bears area which is going to be basically everywhere on foot

not to freak u out much

they will smell food thru 50 layers of plastic wrap which is probably why most ppl die

what i'm saying is if its creepin on u don't wait to be charged its a bear ur the apex predator --- thats not legal advice it'll probably land u in jail

Toxigen 04-02-2024 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetaress (Post 3680546)
Multiple rounds will just piss it off until it finally dies if your lucky. Butt are the sure thing.

1 shot isn't going to do it.

from a .44 mag? sure it will

and yeah, bear canister for food is a must

Patriam1066 04-02-2024 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetaress (Post 3680547)
if that mother fucker is stalking u lawl idk if bears are ambush or stalkers but mountain lions are fuckin killers

u best be prepared to leave the bears area which is going to be basically everywhere on foot

not to freak u out much

they will smell food thru 50 layers of plastic wrap which is probably why most ppl die

what i'm saying is if its creepin on u don't wait to be charged its a bear ur the apex predator --- thats not legal advice it'll probably land u in jail

Booter is right, generally grizzlies don’t give a shit about you if you steer clear of them. I just want to be packing out elk meat and don’t want to get mauled by a desperate elderly sow with 3 cubs. WTB divine aura

Maybe dual wield Deagles?? /shrug