Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   New Green (/forums/showthread.php?t=406247)

Cen 08-06-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arvan (Post 3489407)
List was overall an epic fail unless you had a lot of friends who wanted to account share to camp the 40 hour item drop or whatever so you could sleep. If they figured out a way to disable account sharing for lists that would make it more fair to the entire population.

I agree, players found a way to game the system on that one :P I don't know if they can program the list to break if your location significantly changed, that seems like impossible coding but I don't know what is possible.

loramin 08-06-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arvan (Post 3489407)
List was overall an epic fail unless you had a lot of friends who wanted to account share to camp the 40 hour item drop or whatever so you could sleep. If they figured out a way to disable account sharing for lists that would make it more fair to the entire population.

There's a very, very, simple way, and I truly hope they adopt it for /list 2.0 in Green 2.0: just make it so everyone on the list has a random chance of getting the item. If you sit there for three days without sleep, or trading accounts with others you get ... three days of chances to win the item.

But if you just play like a normal person (ie. login when you want to play and logout when you don't) you also have chances to win the item, based on how long you play. This both fits the spirit of the game better (no one on live was ever guaranteed anything as a reward for sitting in the game for a long time: it was always a random chance at whatever camp) and it eliminates the issues of /list 1.0, making it viable for normal/sane solo players.

Ooloo 08-06-2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3489414)
There's a very, very, simple way, and I truly hope they adopt it for /list 2.0 in Green 2.0: just make it so everyone on the list has a random chance of getting the item. If you sit there for three days without sleep, or trading accounts with others you get ... three days of chances to win the item.

But if you just play like a normal person (ie. login when you want to play and logout when you don't) you also have chances to win the item, based on how long you play. This both fits the spirit of the game better (no one on live was ever guaranteed anything as a reward for sitting in the game for a long time: it was always a random chance at whatever camp) and it eliminates the issues of /list 1.0, making it viable for normal/sane solo players.

Yeah but this would kind of just be trading one unfair thing for another. If I sat there for three days and just got unlucky, and never got the item, and people kept getting it ahead of me who had only been there for a couple hours just by sheer luck, I'd be just as pissed as facing a long camp due to account sharing.

I think the /list system as implemented was the best possible solution, even though yes some people are gonna game it by account sharing. It's still MUCH better than allowing the poopsock guild to just say fuck you to the rest of the server by passing the camp off the guildies forever until the items stop dropping.

One thing that might make it fairer would simply be that if you log out\switch accounts you get booted from the list. Yes this would also be unfair to the occasional person who loses connection, but honestly in the modern age that almost never happens unless the power goes out or something, and p99 generally only crashes while zoning so that wouldn't be an issue at a list camp where you're just in one zone for a long time. So at least in this system, the unfair thing would happen very infrequently.

cd288 08-06-2022 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooloo (Post 3489427)
Yeah but this would kind of just be trading one unfair thing for another. If I sat there for three days and just got unlucky, and never got the item, and people kept getting it ahead of me who had only been there for a couple hours just by sheer luck, I'd be just as pissed as facing a long camp due to account sharing.

I think the /list system as implemented was the best possible solution, even though yes some people are gonna game it by account sharing. It's still MUCH better than allowing the poopsock guild to just say fuck you to the rest of the server by passing the camp off the guildies forever until the items stop dropping.

One thing that might make it fairer would simply be that if you log out\switch accounts you get booted from the list. Yes this would also be unfair to the occasional person who loses connection, but honestly in the modern age that almost never happens unless the power goes out or something, and p99 generally only crashes while zoning so that wouldn't be an issue at a list camp where you're just in one zone for a long time. So at least in this system, the unfair thing would happen very infrequently.

This

Zeboim 08-06-2022 12:51 PM

Legacy items cause more gymnastics than the Olympics.

Just remove the damn things or make them never stop dropping.

Jibartik 08-06-2022 01:55 PM

I think they solved this "problem" in world of warcraft it is :that way:

Cen 08-06-2022 02:57 PM

It kind of is silly that they stop dropping. They aren't even a problem to continue dropping.
The guise is one of my favorite items in the game especially.

loramin 08-06-2022 03:30 PM

Quote:

Welcome to EverQuest: what I described is just as "fair" as (literally) anything else in the game.

Nothing else in this game is guaranteed ... you don't get to sit at the mushroom king camp for X hours and get handed a Fungi Tunic, do you? Why should items that are so good, they got removed from the game, be guaranteed ... when a Fungi Tunic isn't?

SenoraRaton 08-06-2022 05:23 PM

Quote:

This doesn't solve the problem, it just makes you screen share your local machine to your friends instead. It adds a technical barrier that is surmountable.

I think the solution should be to essentially award DKP every time the PH/Named is killed.(Or possibly every time you pass an AFK check) If your logged on, and on the list, then you get a point, and the person with the most points gets the drop, if its tied, it rolls and selects one. This way you can log off and go to sleep, you can even spend an hour a day at the camp, and slowly accumulate DKP. Given enough time at camp you will get your item.

Jibartik 08-06-2022 05:26 PM

Best way to get a legacy item is to learn how to get there quickly at server launch speaking of hhhhngggggggg