Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Man Summits Every Colorado 14er in a Single Winter (/forums/showthread.php?t=417124)

Toxigen 03-29-2023 09:51 AM

Man Summits Every Colorado 14er in a Single Winter

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2023/...MiE3Vljr9rqjiw

As someone who has done a few summer 14ers, the effort required to do this is on a whole different level of insanity. Its borderline incomprehensible.

253k vertical feet gain/loss in 72 winter days...on terrain that would make every single person here shit themselves.

Capitol peak alone has a knifes edge with a 2,000 foot drop on either side. Nine people have died in the last 20 years.

His view on the ascent:
https://i.imgur.com/JCpTsVH.png

But coming down:
https://i.imgur.com/U3qoypJ.png

And the only guy to ever do it before was there with him on the tougher peaks towards the end to help him along and beat his own record. Just amazing good feels all around.

Basanos 03-29-2023 10:12 AM

A fascist who likes mountain climbing... where have I heard this one before?

Toxigen 03-29-2023 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basanos (Post 3595512)

High BMI city dwellers don't matter. Sorry you don't got summits.

https://i.imgur.com/XE4ju4n.jpg

Botten 03-29-2023 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3595507)
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2023/...MiE3Vljr9rqjiw

As someone who has done a few summer 14ers, the effort required to do this is on a whole different level of insanity. Its borderline incomprehensible.

253k vertical feet gain/loss in 72 winter days...on terrain that would make every single person here shit themselves.

Capitol peak alone has a knifes edge with a 2,000 foot drop on either side. Nine people have died in the last 20 years.

His view on the ascent:
<picture>

But coming down:
<picture>

And the only guy to ever do it before was there with him on the tougher peaks towards the end to help him along and beat his own record. Just amazing good feels all around.

meh- all that white I can see why you like it up there so much

aussenseiter 03-29-2023 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botten (Post 3595528)
meh- all that white I can see why you like it up there so much

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basanos (Post 3595512)

I've heard about mountaineering too

unsunghero 03-29-2023 03:43 PM

I’ve heard what feels like most Everest/K2/Nanga Parbat/Annapurna/etc death stories. I have a morbid fascination with these

Little known facts I’ve learned from them:

- some Sherpas carry a shot of what is likely amphetamine/adrenaline that they will give to anyone they see who is sitting down in the death zone unable to move or respond. If the shot doesn’t help you get down, you are 100% dead. And it usually doesn’t. But it’s cool that some try this as a last ditch effort

- Snow Blindness up there isn’t the reflection of the sun on the snow, and it’s not snow so thick you can’t see, that’s called a white out. Snow blindness is where the tissue of your eyeballs freeze, and it’s permanent. Once it happens, you have to somehow still try to continue on down blind but most die at this point

- People get dehydrated incredibly quickly when organs aren’t getting enough oxygen. And there’s all that tempting snow around to drink. That’s also a death warrant, because drinking snow will vastly increase your rate of hypothermia. If you can’t heat it, you shouldn’t drink it

- when dying of hypothermia, it feels like your body is burning up. This is why people are often found in various state of being disrobed

- climbers frequently face a moral dilemma when seeing a dying climber. They have to decide to risk their own very limited energy and oxygen to help them down or step over them and leave them there to die. They used to be chastised by other climbers when they don’t help. There was a famous case of a climber sitting there dying that was passed by dozens of other climbers who left him there to die

This dude from Co is a baller. But I think you have to be borderline suicidal/crazy to attempt these feats. I love challenging hikes but being a desert rat I don’t do well in the cold or at altitude so….pass

unsunghero 03-29-2023 03:45 PM

Cool pics too btw

Patriam1066 03-29-2023 03:48 PM

Pretty bad ass, I’d be terrified. Did some back country skiing up here with some people who have done it forever and that shit can be scary / sketchy. I saw an avalanche a bit away from us one time and yeah, wasn’t a huge one, but if you were caught under it you’d die immediately

I would love to attempt to Summit Denali one day, but even back country skiing got a bit crazy for me so I probably won’t haha

Toxigen 03-29-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriam1066 (Post 3595670)
Pretty bad ass, I’d be terrified. Did some back country skiing up here with some people who have done it forever and that shit can be scary / sketchy. I saw an avalanche a bit away from us one time and yeah, wasn’t a huge one, but if you were caught under it you’d die immediately

I would love to attempt to Summit Denali one day, but even back country skiing got a bit crazy for me so I probably won’t haha

Denali is on my list too. Need a lot of training though.

I know I'll never summit Everest or any of the 8000m peaks. I'm all set with the Death Zone.

Would like to do Kilimanjaro too some day...but Denali is #1.

unsunghero 03-29-2023 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriam1066 (Post 3595670)

Yea even good weather can kill on the peaks because sun out = snow melts = avalanche city

Some climbers still carry avalanche cords that they throw in the air as the avalanche is about to bury them in the hopes it will be spotted by rescuers before they suffocate…