Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Which race is better for Paladin: Dwarf or Half Elf? (/forums/showthread.php?t=415998)

Uza Khan 03-02-2023 01:59 PM

Which race is better for Paladin: Dwarf or Half Elf?

Hi all,

Just about to get started on P99 after a long 10+ year break. I've been looking around some of the various forum postings and I respect that everyone says, "Go with what you like", but I am somewhat torn between a couple of main points and I was hoping some of you knowledgeable guys & gals could help me please.

Dwarf: Best starting stats. Access to Brell Imbued cultural armor. +5 MR.
Half Elf: Mainly for access to Nature's Defender and Medium size. Also, a little fashion quest perhaps.

For the record, I know that this is an extremely small set of deciding points, and I'm sure there are probably more to consider, but I guess it could come down to essentially: is it worth having Nature's Defender (and maybe Hero Bracers) along the way for an HEF or does the mighty mini Dwarf get stuff just as good to make it worthwhile for the long haul?

The long haul is kind of what I'm trying to think about, but I love EQ and I would have a blast no matter which race I went with. I know raiding could also be a deciding factor as well, and ideally I will get to a point where I can do some of that as well because there was a lot of things I missed out on back when I first started playing in 1999 and there are lots of zones and mobs I simply need to see.

Just looking for some expert opinions and thoughts to help me make a choice. I appreciate everyone's time.

Thanks,

Uza

strongNpretty 03-02-2023 02:04 PM

Man, but what about a Erudite in that glorious, beautiful blue Imbued Cultural Armor?! We need more of them!

Toxigen 03-02-2023 02:04 PM

Kinda depends how much time you're going to put into this char.

If you know you'll never do the epic or raid, then absolutely go with half elf. Nature's Defender will be the best weapon possible.

If you're going to raid, play whatever you want. The 2 handers out of ToV are better than the epic...and you'll probably have plenty of opportunity to get the fiery sword too.

Don't overlook CHA for starting stats, especially if you plan on soloing in tight spots where lull / calm / paci will be important.

Crede 03-02-2023 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uza Khan (Post 3582851)
Hi all,

Just about to get started on P99 after a long 10+ year break. I've been looking around some of the various forum postings and I respect that everyone says, "Go with what you like", but I am somewhat torn between a couple of main points and I was hoping some of you knowledgeable guys & gals could help me please.

Dwarf: Best starting stats. Access to Brell Imbued cultural armor. +5 MR.
Half Elf: Mainly for access to Nature's Defender and Medium size. Also, a little fashion quest perhaps.

For the record, I know that this is an extremely small set of deciding points, and I'm sure there are probably more to consider, but I guess it could come down to essentially: is it worth having Nature's Defender (and maybe Hero Bracers) along the way for an HEF or does the mighty mini Dwarf get stuff just as good to make it worthwhile for the long haul?

The long haul is kind of what I'm trying to think about, but I love EQ and I would have a blast no matter which race I went with. I know raiding could also be a deciding factor as well, and ideally I will get to a point where I can do some of that as well because there was a lot of things I missed out on back when I first started playing in 1999 and there are lots of zones and mobs I simply need to see.

Just looking for some expert opinions and thoughts to help me make a choice. I appreciate everyone's time.

Thanks,

Uza

Dwarf is the better Paladin race, hands down. More str/sta/dex/wis, not to mention access to really good cultural armor. Half elves do have 30 more CHA, which can come in clutch if you plan to do a lot of dungeon soloing as Toxigen mentioned, but ultimately for either race I'd still suggest going CHA for your starting points if you plan to solo or WIS if you want to prioritize grouping/raiding.

With that being said, between the two, I'd play what you like to look at the most. Both look really cool in plate IMO. I do think that Dwarves look cooler with the Paladin epic if you do plan to get that, it's really not that hard. Nature's defender is a nice tanking weapon, but it's ratio is pretty bad so you will likely replace it fast if you plan to do any kind of soloing 30+(think Reaver & eventually Narandi's lance at 55). You can also 2h bash with epic which is really nice. If you plan to do any sort of raiding, I'd personally just go straight after the epic and skip the nature's defender.

Snaggles 03-02-2023 04:38 PM

Yea personal preferences on looks aside (which Id never suggest):

Dwarf = best casual with less lull emphasis (lowest CHA)
High elf = best BiS gear setup (most mana) with a lot of CHA for lulling

The Dwarf is going to have more hps and far more strength which helps without tink bags and high end raid loot. At 60 yaulp4 will give 40str so with Focus most people will cap or almost cap. It’s a struggle until then.

Really though most the races get a fun perk. Human and Dwarf being able to use a Frostreaver. Elves having Nature Defender access. Erudites with the 500p flurry shield.

Dwarves and Erudites (imho) look the best with this Deepwater Helm which you will have equipped most your life if a casual gamer soloing. Half elves and high elves are tolerable. The bucket helm for humans is pretty rough.

Toxigen 03-02-2023 04:41 PM

Dwarf for low budget casuals. Best bang-for-your-buck out of the gate.

If you're gonna raid and be oozing in stats it won't matter, pick whatever you think looks cool.

I went Human max CHA fwiw.

pink grapefruit 03-02-2023 05:04 PM

Dwarves are ugly alcoholics and the leading cause of climate change on Norrath. And they worship an evil god who created gnolls and other evil races. It’s pretty gross tbh

Swish 03-02-2023 05:19 PM

Side tip. Whether you go full CHA or not, grab a crude stein for when you lull. Definitely worth.

Pint 03-02-2023 06:14 PM

Dwarf bc elves are sissies

Uza Khan 03-02-2023 07:22 PM

Thanks guys for the replies and feedback. Appreciate it.

I have seen that for Dwarves, they are recommended to always put at least 5 into AGI before doing anything else, and that the rest could/should go CHA or WIS. I've seen plenty of posts talking about the min/max value is in CHA or WIS given that so much gear is STR/STA based.

Toxigen mentioned going full CHA as well. Seeing as how Dwarves are so abyssmally low in CHA, doesn't it make the most sense in this game to put the other 15 there? Or even all 20 for that matter?

Do you ever see Dwarven Paladins soloing using Lull? It seems like a character's level is the most important consideration when doing that, but like Swish said, you have to properly equip yourself.

I don't think I could make a mistake either way where I put the rest....it is just 15 points after all....but you guys have been around way longer and have seen much more than I have, and so your experiences & observed opinions do carry weight.

Thanks.