Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Debating a Necro (or Mage): A few questions (/forums/showthread.php?t=240643)

serjordanmormont 05-03-2016 09:01 AM

Debating a Necro (or Mage): A few questions

I want to create a pet class and am leaning toward necro, but I'm wondering if I may be better off just going with a mage.

I'm partial to a necro based on seemingly better utility options and DoTs which all sound like fun, but am not keen on being evil. I also have no interest in being an Iksar which is apparently the best (and in some opinions, the only) race to be.

Is there any way to be a less hated necro off the bat? Would being a human, gnome, or Erudite help? I don't mind faction farming but would prefer to be at least, less hated.

Additionally, how easy is it to get decent low level gear for either? I'm told the flayed skin for a necro is pretty solid and can take me up through higher levels. Is this gear expensive?

Can anybody confirm if the experience penalty for a necro still in play?

For the mage is the class as straightforward as it seems to be. Send pet in to tank, throw a nuke or two and a damage shield on and sit/med and watch?

Spyder73 05-03-2016 09:11 AM

If you don't want to be an Iskar and you don't want to be viewed as evil by NPC's... then necro is the completely wrong choice for you

trite 05-03-2016 09:15 AM

All robe casters have the same EXP rate I believe.
Iksar have a racial exp penalty

You don't really need a ton of gear for either class, you will be made of paper regardless and your mana regen rate, which is the most important thing when soloing, won't be affected by any gear you can acquire or afford until very late in the game.

Mage soloing can be a little more complicated than you're imagining because sometime after Kunark came out they changed how experience works when you are soloing with a pet. If a single pet that is alive at the end of the fight does the majority of damage it eats half the exp. (should look this up to verify and understand)

Being anything other than an iksar will result in being a less hated necromancer but most factions won't like you off the bat.

Mage spells Coth and Mod rods have historically been more in demand for velious raiding than 93% rez / corpse summon / FD / twitch but necromancer is the better solo class...in the early days of this server mages were amazing soloing to 50 now they are ok i guess and struggle soloing 50-60

Iksar really is the logical necromancer race. If you are interested in playing a mage and definitely don't want to be evil make a mage instead of a necromancer

jolanar 05-03-2016 09:26 AM

Human and Gnome necros are less hated than other races, and should be able to travel in "nuetral" cities without too much of a problem (avoid Paladin/Cleric guild halls). Not too sure on the specifics, but you probably start out threatening to guards in places like Felwithe.

IMO necro is the superior choice unless you just want to be lazy and send pet in while occasionally tossing some nukes. There is almost no utility for mages, whereas necros have more variety than any class.

trite 05-03-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 2260003)
Human and Gnome necros are less hated than other races, and should be able to travel in "nuetral" cities without too much of a problem (avoid Paladin/Cleric guild halls). Not too sure on the specifics, but you probably start out threatening to guards in places like Felwithe.

IMO necro is the superior choice unless you just want to be lazy and send pet in while occasionally tossing some nukes. There is almost no utility for mages, whereas necros have more variety than any class.

Don't want to flame this post but mage is much more utility in the raiding end game. Raids would always be better off if necro players were on a rogue or cleric.

gildor 05-03-2016 09:32 AM

Erudite necros are pretty well liked as well..and have the highest starting INT.

GinnasP99 05-03-2016 10:03 AM

Dark elf necro and don't look back

NovaSeven 05-03-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gildor (Post 2260015)
Erudite necros are pretty well liked as well..and have the highest starting INT.

This is what I play. They look pretty cool with the hoods, and Paineel is a such a great city, thematically. You are well liked in lots of places too, which has been nice.

serjordanmormont 05-03-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trite (Post 2260013)
mage is much more utility in the raiding end game.

Could you elaborate on this a bit please?

serjordanmormont 05-03-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaSeven (Post 2260084)
This is what I play. They look pretty cool with the hoods, and Paineel is a such a great city, thematically. You are well liked in lots of places too, which has been nice.

I was wondering about this. i think Erudite would make a great caster and I'm leaning toward them for both classes realistically unless this forum persuades me otherwise.